Enough lights for a clam?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by m_hsiao, Jan 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m_hsiao

m_hsiao Purple Spiny Lobster

I have a 3 footer tank which is a 40G Breeder tank. I purchased a clam today and I placed it at the very top, probably the top 3 inches of my 16" deep tank. I placed in between 3 rocks which has a perfect spot for it. I was wondering if my lighting was enough for it with the high placement as well? I have a 36" coralife pc 65W high output, 36" coralife T5 42W, and a 36" coralife 96W high output all for my 40G breeder, that should be sufficient eh? Just want some advice, any do you guys spot feed your clam?

2. Click Here!

3. killareefer

killareefer Feather Duster

the t5's will do the job what kind of clam is it though??? cause clams like derasa's can live under pc's but other clams need a range from t5's to metal halides to be able to survive.

4. salsalito25

salsalito25 Stylophora

you have plenty of light in your tank.. Cause your tank so shallow and you have so much lite start him off in the bottom of your tank and slowly put him in the spot in your tank that you want him so the clam can get used to the lites and you dont fry it so to speak... Just a another idea from the peanut gallery..

5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

This is exactly what I was thinking. Bottom of the tank. And if you do have not already, I would use the T5s as your actinic source (UVL bulbs). This is what the clam will use the most and there is no question that the T5 will do great at what, in the end, is about 13 inches (16 minus sand and the top inch of air).

6. m_hsiao

m_hsiao Purple Spiny Lobster

okay just wanted to make sure! I'm going to leave him at the top although I do start off corals on the sandbed usually but they were under intense metal halides at my lfs so i'm going to leave the clam at the top, it's looking good today though :D

7. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Again, you still need to know what kind of Tridacna it is because certain corals do better in the benthic areas of a tank whereas other can be positioned in the rock work higher up if need be!
    remember that light only represents part of the equation in maintaining a healthy cla. Some clams are hardier than others and as for feeding, they are filter feeders so alot of the nutrients will be filtered through the water as nitrates, phosphates and dissolved organic matter. Plus they are symbiotic, so they contain zooxanthellae which also offers them nutrients as a result of the photosynthetic process displayed by their zooxanthellae.