Engineering students develop a coral reef monitoring system

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by Matt Rogers, Jun 1, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

From the 3reef Ocean News -

http://currents.ucsc.edu/04-05/05-30/project.asp

Too cool!

2. Click Here!

3. mmakay

mmakay Feather Duster

Very cool indeed!

4. skennelly

skennelly Coral Banded Shrimp

That is cool! I would like to have something like that for my reef tank. I often think about building a similar system for my tank, but I would make it real-time internet based for remote viewing. The software part of it would be relatively easy to create, but not sure about finding the probes for various tanks levels....calcium, ph, temp ect... I wonder if I could buy probes for say a neptune controller and adapt them to hardware I build.

S

5. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Well skennelly i was thinking about something in that matter to.. There are already monitors and probes that exist that work on X10 technologies and you can input that in a computer via RS232. So all you would need is the software to interpret the data and do what you want with it. If im not mistaking Reefcon PRO already does that. Pretty cool.

Marc.

P.S If you ever decide to give it a try let me know, ill give you a hand. Programmer here :wave:

6. skennelly

Thanks Marc, I'm also a programmer so that part would be the least of my worries. Getting the initial equipment would be my biggest problem.

Sean

7. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

I know a couple places where they sell the equipment but its very expensive... a big CHA CHING...

Marc.

8. Click Here!

9. skennelly

Why does money have to get in our way all the time!

Not practical for me if its going to cost me an arm and a leg I'm getting married this September and that's draining my reef tank funds down dramatically since my fiance and I are paying for it ourselves.

But we are going to Maui for the honeymoon so I'll really get to view the reefs when we snorkel.....I think the resort we are staying at offers free SCUBA lessons so I might go for that.

S