Engineer Goby Died ?????

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Crabby Jim, Jan 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

Well I am having a Bad week first my Kole Tang starved itself to death then my kellogi seahorse that I have had at least 7-8 months died ( I suspect my brittle star)
    Now today ,my engineer goby who I have had for at least 8-9mos was covered in what looked like white slime his eyes were cloudy and he was just being pushed around in the current.

Now I have heard that these fish are prone to parasites is that true?

I have removed the fish because I could get to him and done a 25% water change my other fish have no signs of problems what else should I do? or is this just to be expected. I am still fairly new to this my tank has only been up for about a year. :confused::(:-[:cry::bigcry:

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

wow I'm so sorry to hear that! I've never had any problems with my e.g. so I really couldn't tell you what's happened to yours. It sounds like there might be something else going on in your tank, with all the deaths.... :( sorry again for your loss....

4. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

Hey cuttinggras how old is your EG?

5. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

sorry about your week their Jim,
    do all of you paramiters check out at the moment , nothing slipping out of wack

6. cuttingras

he's about 6-7 years old. I got him when he was an inch long and this is him now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

other than recently getting his tails sucked into a power head he's never had a problem. I did get two of them in the beginning but the other one lasted about 6 weeks. This one is about 10 inches long

1 person likes this.
  7. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

Wow cutting he looks great! My water is testing fine wastemanagement according to my kits I am taking some to my LFS tomorrow where they have better kits to double check things .

8. Click Here!

9. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

The Kole just wasnt eating I knew that but I couldnt save him the seahorse was healthy but I just added those to death dealing brittle stars that I took from a friend who was breaking down his reef tank they may be trouble because I think they killed the seahorse.

1 person likes this.
  10. cuttingras

maybe something that was in the water or the brittle stars I used to have a brittle star but his legs fell off one by one and then the disk was left so I took it out(I know it would grow the legs back, but I figured he wouldn't have a chance with no legs). I attribute that to poor water condition too high ammonia... that was way be when I really didn't understand how important it was to keep that and nitrates down.

11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I have had mine for about 1 yr now and hes doin great. Im really sorry for your losses Crabby Jim. If you have checked your parameters and everything has checked out good, then you must have something in the tank that maybe was brought from the LFS. Did you buy something new recently? Did you notice something on the fish before he passed away, like white dots, not eating, breathing heavy or skin disease? According to " the book " it says " Fairly disease-resistant, it can withsand suboptimal water conditions". Did you feed it enough?

1 person likes this.
  12. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

I thought he ate enough he had white slime on his body ,heavy fast breathing and his eyes were cloudy There might have been something in the live rock that I got from my friends tank when he broke down his reef . But all of his fish were fine? I am going to do all of my tests again tommorrow I can't deal with this anymore today this sucks I really liked that fish :angry: