Engineer Gobies

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by RoloSaez, Apr 23, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

have you shared your chia pet brain idea? or did I miss it??

2. Click Here!

3. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

Brain coral skeleton to be covered with GSP's. I attached it to another rock to make it look like a mushroom. Then if I cover it with gsp it would look like a tree I guess.

Attached Files:

4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Give it time, it grows quickly

5. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

New Video Engineers at work or at least planning to be.

6. trudeska

trudeska Plankton

Engineer gobies eat pistol shrimp and any other small shrimp. Doesn't matter how much you feed them or if the shrimp has another paired goby or if it is fairly large for a pistol (my last one was 1 1/2 inches).. The sheer size of the engineer will always win and the watchman goby will abandon his post and only sit open-mouthed, puffed up and outraged over by a rock watching the blind shrimp get eaten. So if you really love your pistol shrimp don't put him on the menu by putting the two together. Mine ate 3 before I staked him out and caught him in the act. Only took a few minutes for the engineer to make a move after I turned out the light in the room/tank. It zoomed out and made a direct move to the exact spot where the shrimp was too. Like he had a spidey sense and had been waiting all day to ambush it under cover of darkness. I should add, he'd been heavily target fed on purpose just an hour or two before in order to try to dampen his predation. Didn't work. Also, judging by the number of snail shells and hermit crab shells piled up outside his lair, I'd say those guys are also on the daily buffet. I've watched him grab one and take it back with him into his area and the next day the shell is outside without a resident.