ended survey- thanks!

Discussion in 'Reef Cleaners' started by johnmaloney, Jun 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

I like this list seabass1
    it covers different areas of the tank really well IMO
    they dont have cerinth species available out here , but all the others are frequently seen

2. Click Here!

3. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

oh really? I wouldn't think there was much Carrib stuff because the Pacific stuff is so nice. Although, from what I have seen it looks like the hobby is as big there as it is here so it makes sense. I saw pictures (wait was it your thread? now I am embarrassed I have to go check it out...).....of a fish store street in Hong Kong that was amazing.

4. steve wright

its getting more popular - over last 10 years its gone from nothing much available
    to you name it, you can find it - maybe not in the shops but almost certainly on Chao Bao which is the Chinese E bay

CUC - much of the stuff is not for sale at the LFS - but a visit to the sea food vendors in the street market can provide any number of different species for CUC

Ill get some images of a typical sea food stall for my thread
    you will recognise a lot of the different snail type species.

Steve

5. johnmaloney

haha! the guy who used to work with us was Sicilian and always kind of eyed the conchs and larger snails.. :) Periwinkles are a delicacy, not sure if they taste good or anything, i think because they are such a pain to clean. Bigger species than we carry though... I have stopped eating snail since I started this, maybe unconsciously I haven't thought about it, I just haven't. I used to eat conch fritters when I visited the Keys and escargo, whatever snail that is.

6. steve wright

periwinkles

the same out here ( or as far as my ID abilities can gather)
    what they do is chop the end off using a cleaver prior to cooking
    and then you lift them with your chop stick and basically suck the cooked part out of its shell but biting of before the last part which contains the creatures wastes)

eating them is an art form and they are not chosen as a main course dish often
    but for supper time and a couple of beers in the cooler night air, they are our version of beer nuts or salted peanuts

Steve

7. johnmaloney

over here we have raw oysters that are pretty much the same idea. you eat them salty right?

8. Click Here!

9. steve wright

spicey - lots of red peppers and pepper seeds, plus black pepper kernels
    finely ground and then stir fried

great ice cold beer companion IMO

Steve

10. johnmaloney

yeah see that is more like the oysters...they are salty, but everyone uses tabasco or some other hot sauce.

11. johnmaloney

nothing worse than being hungry when you have no food and everything is closed. thanks steve, i will remember this. lol...

12. steve wright

things close where you are then?

we have 24 hour Mc Ds, 24 hour KFC , 24 hour Pizza hut - all do deliveries
    and you can go out early for breakfast and meet people who are eating their supper at any number of restuarants and cafe's

Steve