Emergency!!!! I think my tank is going to blow!!!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by jcoreyblack, Aug 3, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Is there a gold rim on this tank?

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

one other option if you are not up to resealing a tank.......
    look into possibly getting a non-drilled tank and having your LFS drill it for you. Make sure you buy a non-tempered tank or else they will not be able to drill. You can save a few hundred that way plus you could do a coast to coast overfill.

5. Brownie

Brownie Flamingo Tongue

schackmel the shell looking thing is the crack/chip. It in my opinion looks very sever.

In my opinion i would suggest getting a new tank if you can afford it. As previously mentioned your going to run the risk of your coral, fish, and inverts in the tank and that could be very spendy and most likely turn you off to the hobby. As for what was also previously mentioned you run the risk of permanent damage to your flooring joists and mold issues with water damage.

6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

yeah it took me a while to not see a shell..........I agree. I would get a new tank

7. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

+100.....I told a local glass shop I was making a diy hob refuge, and I could literally see his eyes form dollar signs in the pupal area. You can guess, that vision stopped short......Either buy your own, or do a repair like said. It all depends on how confident you are in yourself. If sealing several sides of glass simultaneously doesn't seem like it's achievable for ya, then you must rely on someone else's ability to do so.

8. Click Here!

9. zackscott20

zackscott20 Fire Shrimp

I love your rock work!!!! its ashamed you'll have to take it down to repair or replace it :( . Please Please Pleassseeeee try to remember the way you did the rock! i want to see it overgrown with corals sooo bad.

10. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

I feel so so so sorry for you. If this happened to my tank I would cry.

Im not sure if I read that you had water in it or not. If you do, cop it not chin and remove it all.

I would get a new tank and then do what another poster commented and that was to cut down the tank and use it as a sump.

Good luck, keep the faith in reefing. It will come through for you.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  11. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

Wow, I'm sorry for the spot your in...

12. Moby Duck

Moby Duck Purple Spiny Lobster

The only thing I could think of would be to look for the same size aquarium on Craigslist but find a busted one and use one panel and do a transplant. Also ask your LFS if they have any busted aquariums in the back that would have te right size glass. My LFS will sell a busts aquarium for cheap to people that use them for turtles and whatnot