Emergency Drain questions???

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Drboomson, Oct 2, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

But..... then your ATO kicks in, dumping gallons of freshwater, which keeps your pump from running dry but lowers your salinity AND overflows your DT.

2. Click Here!

3. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Why did I even read this! Another scenario I did not think of. I did all the power loss tests but never thought of my drain getting clogged..

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I'm thinking the same thing CBS! I was usually thinking about the sump overflowing not the DT!

5. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

It's kind of amazing to me how often this is overlooked.

6. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

i dont see a drain clogging as long as it is a smooth pipe all the way to the sump (no valves or reducers that would increase turbulence) and as long as you have a proper strainer over your drain. The ONLY time I have had drains clog is on my personal tanks with the herbie or beananimal overflow, when a snail made it through my terribly designed strainer (egg crate) and got stuck at the gate valve. My lfs simply runs a bulkhead with a strainer on all the tanks and we haven't had a clog in the 20 years we've been in operation. It would take a turbo snail to clog a 1.5" drain and if he gets through it means you didnt have a strainer to begin with. lol

heres a link to the type of strainer we use at work. they work great. Also, most reef ready tanks come with a dorso style drain with a built in strainer.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulkhead-overflow-strainers.html

7. insanespain

Another aspect I forgot to touch on. Good point. This would take some time though, since aqua lifters don't exactly flow alot

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Why would you have such a system? My DIY ATO- Gravity only; will only dump a max of 4 gallons into my system when I keep the resovoir feed valve off. (Unless I'm adding water from my RO/DI to the resvoir via the feed line, it's always off for this worst case scenario reason)
    Have you seen my DIY ATO thread?

ONe of the many things to think about.
    My DIY sump would basically pump at least 20g into my DT if my overflow quits- NOT GOOD! That's why I installed my nifty high DT water level sensor that shuts down my return pump- hence no overflows of the DT.
    Have you seen that thread?

You have to have both covered- or use your insurance in the event of a BIG mishap.

Aqualifters? For the ATO? Oh yea- a store bought system wrife with failures.... I'm such a smart alec! ;-)

Dr. Boom....
    Dude, you don't need an 'emergency drain'- since you have covered your bases in how to prevent a flood, BOTH from the Sump, and/or DT.
    Nice work!

10. Drboomson

Drboomson Flamingo Tongue

11. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

"ONe of the many things to think about.
    My DIY sump would basically pump at least 20g into my DT if my overflow quits- NOT GOOD! That's why I installed my nifty high DT water level sensor that shuts down my return pump- hence no overflows of the DT.
    Have you seen that thread?"

No I haven't Todd but bet I'll be searching for it here in a few and also looking up that strainer link. I run a single flex hose down to my sump and bulkhead is 1.5. Hopefully I'm good and this doesn't jinx anything. I'll put some sort of strainer in there today. Good thread, thanks guys!

12. insanespain

Yes, Aqualifters. You know, one of the most commonly used ATO pumps ever? Before you start carrying on about how great DIY gravity fed ATO's are, you need to realize that not everyone has a basement where their sump is. And most people dont have room under their stand to elevate an ATO container. Which is why an Aqualifter is used, or another similar small pump.