Emergency!!!Clown is now just laying near the bottom of tank and breathing very hard!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Claic Yuzolt, Dec 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Claic Yuzolt

Claic Yuzolt Bubble Tip Anemone

Going on 8 weeks now. With that under ground filter with air stone will that be enough to keep the O2 levels correct? Is the tank big enough for two clowns? just in case I get another I want to QT it also and I would like to put it through the same treatment because after reading i have learned to QT all new fish.

By the way, thanks for all the help.

2. Click Here!

3. caliwavsurfer

caliwavsurfer Astrea Snail

I would not put another clownfish in there right now, especially because you don't know exactly what the problem is. The tank is big enough if you get 2 clownfish at the same time and there are sufficient hiding spots .As long as there is filtration and an airstone in the aquarium oxygen levels should not be a problem. Just make sure to check water parameters at least every other day because they can fluctuate very quickly in the quarantine. Let your display mature a bit longer. It can go through some harsh cycles. If you did not add live sand or live rock during the cycling period, it takes longer for the aquarium to settle and to be ready for fish. Good luck and I hope the little guy survives!

4. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

caliwavsurfer is giving you some good advice. Don't buy any more fish until your system is more stable. An undergravel is not a good filter for SW. Just liverock and some good powerheads are more than enough to get you by with one clownfish until you get your sump going.

That tank that you have the clownfish is not really a QT or HT. For that you need a cycled filter. I have a spare HOB filter that I can put on a tank in an emergency, and I keep six biowheels floating in my sump for that purpose.

Right now you have an already sick fish in a tank with no filtration. Until you know what is really wrong with him, I'm not sure if it's better to keep him in the HT or the DT.

5. Claic Yuzolt

My tank DT has like 30 pounds of live rock that I have been cycling and I have Xenia, Zoas, and a Favia Brain that is actually growing in my tank. Thats why I can't understand what is wrong with the fish going in. The pictures I put up are the filter I am now using for the DT the under gravel filter is just what came with the little tank I have running right now for the HT.

I have some Furan - 2 I just got, should I do a dip of that or a freshwater dip on the sick clown? Or should I treat the entire HT with the Furan? Or should I give her a furan/fresh water dip and then put her back into the DT? lol I know a lot of questions.

Now as for the dip itself how many liters would you suggest?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  6. RL668

RL668 Astrea Snail

Sorry, but my suggestion is to give it up instead of spend those expenses, time, work and risks. This kind of 'clownfish decease is common amount clowns from Philipinnes or Indonesia. The outbreak usually occures around 7 days after LFS received the shippment. They caused heavy casualties and many LFS have get used to such, because clowns are not that expensive and they just don't justify the costs.

7. Claic Yuzolt

I appreciate your opinion but I find this to be an opportunity for me to learn how to treat low price fish and get experience so when I purchase expensive fish I can be better at saving them!

I just order a bottle of Formalin online and will begin the baths soon. I will have a whole thread in the disease section on this process and some pictures and videos perhaps.

Thanks for all of the help!