Elephant Ear Fish Eating Mushroom! Claimed two of my clowns :-(

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Brandon1023, Mar 15, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

Mar 29, 2008
    Louisville, KY ( derby town )

"Mushrooms" are a cousin of what we call "anemones", and that elaphant ear is just a closer cousin is all.
    Oh as it becomes larger it will take fish and "slowly" close up around it.
    ( this happens mostly at night when the little fishy decides to sleep near/on it )

Ive seen elaphant ears as big as dinner plates and they are not picky eaters when it comes swallowing a clown or your favorite tang etc.

Actualy had considered it one time' they do "fill in" tanks quite nicely.
    But had a friend that had a real nice softie tank , had a couple of nice tangs, a purple and a yellow.

One day the purple came up missing "MIA" and he was totally lost as to where it went lol....
    ( no carpet diving , we checked all over ).
    Upon closer inspection of the tank, we noticed the elaphant ear was quite "bulgy" looking , lmao !.

Quite the expensive dinner ' a 25.00 elaphant ear consumed a perfect 130.00 purple tang.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Feb 7, 2008
    Here's what our elephant ear looked like a few months ago:
    (Kind of just laid it on that rock at first, but moved it later)

and here's now:

It definitely looks to have gotten a little bigger, and changes color from shades of pink to green still. I have never seen it blow up like a balloon though...and no fish missing yet.
  4. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Mar 14, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    Yea yours looks a lot different than mine, Bogie. Maybe like all corals there are different varieties of the same family or whatever. If you haven't seen it in the same hunting mode as I described, I wouldn't worry too much.
  5. Chaloupa

Chaloupa Plankton

Apr 1, 2006
    Campbell River, B.C. Canada
    I have 2 very large Elephant Ear Mushrooms that my clowns host in....and have never lost anything....weird!