Elegance Owners

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by mikejrice, Feb 24, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Sounds like you may have gotten one from indonesia.

2. Click Here!

3. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

I am not sure where my elegance is from - more likely indonesia due to the low-ish price I paid for it. I've had it for about 9 months now in my 90g, and it has shown no dislike for my clean water. Here are some points of note:

- likes low flow, moderate light. Too high flow will cause polyps to shrink
    - likes to be horizontal on the sand, not propped up or vertical (as much as that may look better with your aquascape)
    - It will expand and contract over time for no apparent reason
    - It will sting neighboring corals, so give PLENTY of space around it - it will expand a lot after it gets happy in your tank, so allow lots of room
    - I feed mine mysis shrimp about once a week, seems pretty happy with that

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

If you have clownfish, I would suggest either getting rid of them or skipping the coral altogether. In our experience, if they nest in it, they will kill it. I can't add much more than what has already been said but when you do get it, handle it gingerly as you would any lps coral. Make it a point not to touch the flesh and once it's in your tank, make sure that the flesh isn't touching rock or anything else that might irritate it.

5. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I'll be sure to ask where it is from when I get it. I have a nice spot away from all other corals picked out that has low chaotic flow. From your recommendations, and other reading, I'll be sure to place it properly on it's side. Luckily I don't have any clowns right now. If I do get any clowns in the future they will be clarkiis which love my sebae nem, so they shouldn't bother it.

Thank you everyone for all the tips. I'm off to the LFS to possibly get one:)

6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

We need to see some pics if you come back with one. :)

7. hanginten

hanginten Astrea Snail

Haha, I just contacted the seller (ebay) and it was indeed from Indo. Also, this link I was watching is also from Indo ... just a warning.

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

99% of all elegance issues arrise from people not knowing how to handle the coral . from collectors to handlers along the way to most all LFS idiots . I have never had a problem with keepoing them no matter where they where from in the world Aus. or Indo But I have a two dealer's who collects and when they ship them they are handled and shiped direct and only they or I would be the ones to touch them .

10. mikejrice

I agree that that is probably 100% true. Any do's or don't's you have for me on handling them?

11. mikejrice

I just got back with my new elegance!

It is indeed Aus and was only $80 without my frequent shopper discount! It's about 6" across and their lights did not do it justice. Under my fuge light where it is currently floating, it fluoresces a bright blue ring around the edges. I can't wait to see what it looks like under my 20k halide and actinics.

I've been meaning to install a frag grow out rack right above where it will be living, so I did that now. That should give it a bit more shade and hopefully keep it happy. I am overdue on pictures of a lot of things, so I'll work on that tonight.

12. slocal

slocal Doot!

GAHH!!!

Pics soon!!