Elegance Help!

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by anpgp, Jun 9, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. montipora

montipora Guest

There are a few different species of them that come from different parts of the world. The Australian one's are the one's hard to keep if I recall correctly. Where did this particular one come from? If you know that you can look up it's requirements and needs from where they are found.

2. Click Here!

3. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Alright, I tried to spot feed it today and it took some mysis. It didn't really open much more after the feeding but after the daylights went out and it was just actinics, it opened up some more than it has in the past few weeks. Probably double the amount in the picture in my first post, hopefully tomorrow will be better.

4. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Good! Maybe he is just really hungry. Maybe try feeding a little bit more tonight.

5. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

I'll give that a try again. The only problem is keeping my stupid cleaner shrimp off of it while it's eating, have to find an empty two liter somewhere. I'm serious contemplating trading the little bugger in for store credit.

6. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Ohh yeah, you can try the bottle trick. I've never tried it, but it sounds like it would work really well.

7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

If you use a turkey baster, just use it to prod at the shrimp any time it gets too close, and give it a bit of food after it stays away for ~10 seconds.

Using that method, I trained my cleaner to sit on a specific rock and wait for its turn while I feed my sun coral.

8. Click Here!

9. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Huh, interesting technique. The only problem is every one of my rocks has a coral on it and the vast majority I spot feed so finding a good spot could be a challenge.

10. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

The shrimp will get pretty specific about where it stands once it's used to the routine.

Mind you, it could take a couple weeks to get in to the routine; it took mine about 10 feedings of my sun coral.

After that, mine started going to the rock once I put the turkey baster in the water, before I even had food in the water. I fill the turkey baster with tank water before I start feeding (makes it easier to get the food in the baster's whole volume instead of just in the tip), so the bubbling of the baster is when it starts moving to the rock.