Elegance Help!

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by anpgp, Jun 9, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

this species does not live in sterile, nutrient-deprived settings... but in the wild in muddy, mucky areas semi-buried in the substrate... sometimes in the shallows of nearshore, other times at the base of reef slopes at depths of 20 meters or more.

Take a glance at that page for more info on elegances.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Thanks for the link, a lot of useful info on there. I think the only thing I'm doing wrong is being too clean. Like I said, mine is laying horizontal on the sand bed in a low flow area near a rocky over hang but not under it and away from other corals. Do you guys think I should only run my skimmer occasionaly to keep some nutrients in the water for it? If so, would this increase in nutrients lead to algae outbreaks?

4. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

You know you can spot feed these guys too? Mine eats chunks of squid, and shrimp at least 3 times a week...really scarfs it down too :)

5. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

I need it to open up enough to spot feed it first.

6. Kevin3884

I'v had mine for about a month and a half, and its already gotten another mouth on it...at least one..possibly 2-3..so big its hard to count em

Attached Files:

7. Kevin3884

this might have been the problem all along....it had no nitrates to take in, and no spot feeding..it may be starved :(

8. Click Here!

9. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

So how would you recommend I go about getting it to open enough to spot feed?

10. Kevin3884

I would start small, with brine, or mysis in a tukey baster...you dont want to stress it too much..gently squirt them onto what flesh and tentacles are showing.

1 person likes this.
  11. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I would make sure that the shrimp sits in the water it's being unfrozen in for at least a half an hour, so the stench of the shrimp gets in the water. Then you can use the smelly water, along with the shrimp, in a turkey baster, to entice it to open.

And after doing this, I would go in and try again about fifteen minutes later, as it may take a while for it to open up for food once it recognized it's there.

12. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Thanks guys, I'll give that a try. Karma to you.