electric flaming scalop

Discussion in 'Clams' started by atcdrifter, Aug 1, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reef goddess

reef goddess 3reef Sponsor

I wouldn't really recommend marine snow, not the best stuff and more likely to raise your nutrient level than do any good, same for Phytoplex which I think is pure crap. Personal opinion of course, lol.
    I have 3 flames and I guess I've had them for at least 6-8 months now. Mind you, we feed our fish at least 3 times per day and I also do frozen daphnia, brine shrimp, and rotifers about 3-4 times per week and minced silversides once per week. On top of that we dose amino acids and coral vitalizer. So its a "don't try this without a big skimmer, a few algae eating tangs, and a large cleanup crew" approach to reef-keeping. ;]
    If you do not have a good filtration system I would say its not worth keeping one and spot feeding it at the risk of raising your nitrates and developing a nice algae problem. A lot of times they end up attaching to dark, hidden areas of your rock anyway. Kinda like my harlequin starfish, I only get to see how pretty they are when I move corals around that they are underneath. ;]

I have found over keeping scallops for a few years that they do much better if you encourage them to attach in an area with good flow where they can collect more particulate matter. Two of mine are actually attached to the base of my 12" squami, kinda funny to have scallops on my clam.

They come in a full spectrum of colors from red, orange, peach, white, and any combination of those. When they are unhealthy they're tentacles will be much shorter than usual. I haven't seen electric ones in a long time.

Thorny/treasure oysters can be kept easier than flame scallops and are very pretty in their own way. They usually come with a host of sponges and other things attached to their shells. Same for christmas tree worms, but not coco worms.

2. Click Here!

3. PumaKrieg

PumaKrieg Flamingo Tongue

4. andyjoy01

andyjoy01 Plankton

My electric scallop

Just got him the other day. LFS said he came in accidentally in a shipment of regular flame scallops. So what is the verdict on feeding? Seems like everybody is saying something different....
    100_1977.jpg

100_1976.jpg

5. ollie51

ollie51 Feather Duster

this is where dt s phytoplankton comes in handy its live phyto and i just use a pipette to target feed it they do need to be target fed

6. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

I agree 100% it adds WAY too much junk to and messes up your water!!!! Some nasty stuff!

7. dahos

dahos Feather Duster

I have had mine for 5 months now. I feed the entire tank 1 1/2 tablespoon of DT's once a week. Mine flashed until he found a spot about mid way up under a rock overhang. He does not flash when attached but seems happy and is as bright red as when i bought him.

I was also told after i bought him that they would not last more than six months. Hopefully he will live a long healthy life.

8. Click Here!

9. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

Sorry this one is not a Flame scallop but the electric . Look at the body style....

10. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

Mine found a fairly dark corner with a fair amount of flow...

11. shoebox1951

shoebox1951 Astrea Snail

I had one that starved after about 3 months but im gonna buy another one because at fifteen bucks every three months the beauty is worth it.

12. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Doesn't sound like responsible reef keeping... hopefully you have better luck with the next one.

1 person likes this.