Egg crate under sand

Discussion in 'Sand' started by ndtechie05, May 16, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

I know this is an old thread. Has anyone removed an egg crate from an established tank before?
    I might remove mine, but not sure how to go about doing it without disrupting too much. I thought about just removing one half of the rock on one side and trying to snip the egg crate with some cutters, then replace the rock on that side and repeat the process on the other side. Thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. cody3819

cody3819 Bubble Tip Anemone

Just to know, why do you want to remove it?

4. Midnight_Madman

I have a whole other thread about it. I think it's causing GHA

5. cody3819

Yes, after I posted I seen the thread. I had a GHA problem a few weeks back... But I went to the LFS and bought a butt load of snails, within a week it was gone. Maybe try that, reason I'm saying this is if you mix your sand bed up you will realise nutrients in to the water.... Just a thought.

6. Midnight_Madman

Yes, I was afraid of that.. prob why I was thinking of doing half at a time... I'm still not sure if its worth doing or not.

7. cody3819

Try a better clean up crew, snails..... I have about 20G of water and about 15snails and 5hermits..... I'm not saying my way is the best, just an example.

8. Click Here!

9. Midnight_Madman

I did add big clean up crew.
    I'm trying to get to the roots of the problem too

10. cody3819

Yea, I have that buddy...... Truth fully if you would do half at a time and give the tank a rest in between, I wouldn't see it as a problem..... Just watch you ammonia and nitrates..... Maybe dose bacteria...?

11. Seacurchin

Seacurchin Astrea Snail

IMHO. To me,rocks will either stay up or fall down not matter what we do_Obviously,be careful. Always big rocks bottom....smaller or large,flat, spanning rocks on top and before you add water? If you think it MAY fall down? You're probably right. So, don't do that. Put the rocks in first then the sand and youll be happier.
    To keep flow,stability,and support, I have a large 5" section of black "Y" shapes PVC that is under the rocks. Big help.
    Egg crate has pockets and can in most cases be a nitrate factory. Have fun. Happy reefing.