Effects Of Too Much Phytoplankton

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Romulox234, Nov 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reeferdude

reeferdude Fire Shrimp

2. Click Here!

3. Romulox234

Romulox234 Astrea Snail

So just plant fertilizer from home depot would work to feed,

Any particular brands that you woul recomend or what should i look for when i buy some

4. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

North Yorkshire, England, Europe, Earth, Milkyway,
    Yeah a liquid pot plant fertiliser like baby bio from a home depot store will work.

5. Romulox234

Romulox234 Astrea Snail

Is that an absolute must have or cna they survive solely on light?

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Not even remotely. Like anything else, they need nutrients to survive.

7. Romulox234

Romulox234 Astrea Snail

Right, but what do they feed on in the ocean then? is there something smaller than phyto that they eat?

8. Click Here!

9. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

There are a lot of nutrients in the ocean, they normally end up in deeper water and then go through cycles in the temperate seas. This is why temperate zones are greener than tropical waters. In the tropics there are less nutrients and this causes an oligotrophic environment. This is one of the reasons why algae live in symbiosis with coral as the coral can provide instant nutrients from its waste and a safe home. There is actually a large amount of organic bacteria in tropic waters. This makes up the picoplankton or bacterioplankton and is fed on by a lot of organisms such as pods and sessile filter feeders like tube worms and sponges.

There is a smaller amount of phytoplankton in tropical seas compared with the temperate zone. Reefs form in shallow waters usually around areas such as islands that have rain water run off which provide a stream of nutrients and can fuel small localised phyto blooms feeding organisms that have settled there.

10. Romulox234

Romulox234 Astrea Snail

Alright thanks for telling me that, so i guess the bag of baby bio is essential to keep the cultures growing

11. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

Yeah any plant pot NPK (nitrogen phosphate potassium) liquid fertiliser will work.

12. Romulox234

Romulox234 Astrea Snail

Well bad news, today i saw that both of the cultures were foaming which is a sign there crashing,

How will i know when there completely gone? One is a very light green and the other is slighty green brown but thats may be do to the fat i put more phyto in that one