effect of high calcium

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by nicodim55, Dec 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nicodim55

nicodim55 Coral Banded Shrimp

I'll probably get a lot of heat from this but here in Cali I use real ocean water that I get from the LFS:-[. I don't use RO I never have. Ever since I can remember I've always used real ocean water.

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

No heat from me

many corals seem to survive OK in real sea water LOL

what test kit are you using?
    and what did you dose to get natural seawater over 600 ppm?

Steve

4. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Why would you get heat from that? Nothing better for ocean creatures than ocean water. I'm with you 100%.
    Perhaps the ocean water you buy gets some additives at the LFS? Those calcium levels aren't normal for ocean water, no matter where you get it from.

5. nicodim55

LOL, I'm using API tester, nothing I tell ya:) and to be honest with all of you and probably another heat wave coming;D I don't do water change regularly:eek: My tank has been running for 9 months now and I've only changed water 4 times.

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

You live in California
    you must be fine with the heat LOL

Again, I do water changes, many do not
    provided your water quality is OK and levels are stable, then throwing away good water regularly may not be a smart idea

I do them simply because of the minor and trace elements that I cannot test for, so I dont know if they are being used up and hence like to freshen the water with 5% every week changes

your corals tell you all you need to know IMO
    If they are healthy and growing, do not change what you do

Steve

7. nicodim55

Thx Steve, really appreciate all your input and everyone that chimed in.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Mainstream Aqua

Mainstream Aqua 3reef Sponsor

I would get a second reading to double check that your test kit has not expired and / or you are testing properly with an accurate analyzation of the results.

At 700, you should see a lot of precipitation on the equipment and glass, especially pumps and anything that creates heat.

10. nicodim55

Yeah no precipitation here, I'm going to have the LFS test it for me this weekend hopefully. Thx

11. nicodim55

Well guys I think I figured out why my cal is at 700 or above sometimes. Thanks to THE JOEY, he was kind enough to let me come over his place and test his water with my tester to see if my tester accurate or not. We also used his tester to test my water and the results were the same with my tester. We tested for cal = 700, alk = 5-6 being low. So, we ruled out the tester being bad. He asked me what I use to top off my water and I said I get my water from the water store. He then suggested to test it for cal, so when I got home that's exactly what I did.

The cal level in the water was 280ppm! All this time I've been dosing calcium without knowing it lol.

My buddy Detane came over and tested my water as well with his tester and the results were the same. He also tested for mag = 1350.

Thx guys for helping me solve the mystery all I need to do now is find another water source for my top off. Brian, thanks again for the monti frags

12. nicodim55

Ok guys I did a major water change today. I changed 40 gal and tested cal and alk. Yesterday cal was at 720, today after water change is at 620. Alk yesterday was at 6, today after water change is at 8. Should I do another 40 in a week?