Ecotech VorTech MP40

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Lunchbox, Sep 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

^^^ I would not say that is bad. It crossed my mind. My 40 is only up to like 60%. There is no way I can put two in the way my rock work is. A lot of the power for the Vortechs is in syncing them. I only have one... you have two.

I think you made a pretty good choice. You have more options than I do. I got a 40 because when I move up I will get a second one.

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

That's basically why I got a 40. I didn't want to upgrade my tank and have to buy two new ones. Plus with the ability to dial it back, I wasn't really concerned with the power of the 40. But having two is a great advantage.

4. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Question for all you vortech owners - What is the max distance between dry and wet side of this powerhead? I have 3/4" plywood - is this going to be an issue if i get one?

5. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

3/4 is the max setting.

If you use 3/4 ply plus the fiberglass and epoxy, it will most likely be to much for the magnets to compensate for.

You could always put a 3/4" glass viewing pane where you want the pump to go. Kind of a PITA but doable.

6. mocarski

mocarski Bristle Worm

I have two MP40s on my 90. Ecotech had issues with the components in the gen 1, did a redesign, and had some issues with their suppliers in not meeting their specs on the replacement/redesigned components. I'm told that they have now fixed the issues with them.

I did have problems with the first I owned. The nut on the impeller would tighten and the impeller would sieze. Both units I have are gen 2s. I have had no issues with the second I bought.

Ecotech's tech support is extremely good. They replaced parts for me and for everyone I know that had issues with them whether the unit was still under warrantee or not. I know a lot (30+) people who own them and the vast majority are not having any issues. All rave about them. Once you get these things you won't want to use anything else. They are that good.

I refused to send my unit in for service cause I didn't want it off my tank even for 2 days quick ship for Ecotech to fix. They are that good. They mailed me the parts instead of making me send it in.

I've had mine for about a year and would recommend these to anyone who keeps sps.

And you probably will want more than 1 in your tank. Once you get your hands on one I'm guessing you will eventually end up with 3 in that size tank.

The only thing that comes anywhere near these for what they can do for flow are the Tunze's and the Ocean's Motions with the Revolutions. Close but not as good in my opinion.

7. mocarski

mocarski Bristle Worm

The flow is probably the broadest of any powerhead on the market. If you put your hand in front of one, you will be amazed at how dispersed and gentle it is even at 3,000gph, the max setting. I can place acroporas directly in front of my Vortech without them being blown to bits. Even only a few inches in front. Because of the broad flow you don't need to aim them. They move ALL of the water in your tank, not just a stream like other powerheads.

They come with set programs like reef crest, lagoon, pulse, and others. They are not exactly programmable as they are varying speeds according to the set programs that come with it. They are basically computer controlled powerheads and the computer speeds up and slows down the impeller based upon the program you select.

I talked to the Ecotech guys at MACNA and suggested that it would be nice if they were programmable and/or able to be controlled by one of the aquarium controllers on the market. They told me both of those are in the works. I'm not holding my breath on those features though.

8. Click Here!

9. mocarski

mocarski Bristle Worm

If you live anywhere near That Fish Place, they routinely mail coupons for 30% off one item if you show up on a specific day. It's usually a Weds and you have to pick it up there. I bought both of mine with these coupons.

These are backordered often. Ecotech has a hard time keeping up with demand. I waited close to 2 months for my second one.

1 person likes this.
  10. Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie Feather Duster

That has to be my problem it actually seized again a few nights ago-this happens more than it should for 250.00 each ( ihave MP20's and got in on group buys).

Do you know how to tell gen1 form gen2, serial# or something?

I call ecotech and see what they say, being Sat. I dont know if they are open.

Curious as to how to tell gen1 from 2-getting ready to fire up the search engines ;D

11. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I have had this happen to mine. I cleaned it and over tightened the nut. Try to loosen the nut a little, that's what I did and have not had any problems with it.

12. Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie Feather Duster

Thats what I have always done, and did yet again. I had thought it was just me overtightening it and mentioned that earlier in the thread as something to look out for and then 'mocarski" throws out there the Gen1 vs Gen2 and that could make sense.

Eco is closed today M-F is when they are open. I did not find anything related to that in the FAQ area, which needs alittle work -IMO.

These both seized or froze within weeks of being totally new. I thought what a POS that you pay nearly 300.00 and I have to "do anything" to keep it working-not literally but....

I dont mind making an adjustment but do you see my point, for 250.00 a unit, I would have not expected to "make any adjustment" especially a week into using it.

I'll get one of mine to freeze about every 8 weeks, it just happened a few nights ago, I tore it all the way down like I always do, cleaned it up and put it back together.

Im hoping there is something to that generation thing.

I'll post my findings after talking to IT from them

Just curious how old is yours? Maybe you have that Gen 1 thingy?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009