Ecotech VorTech MP40

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Lunchbox, Sep 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

I have had my mp40 a little over a week and knock on wood it's great. I really like not having a bunch of koralias in my tank,I think it gives a much cleaner look overall and the flow is amazing,I couldn't believe all the dead spots i had before by what was stirred up by the vortech.
    so far so good.

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I want to know about flow. Ya they look good, ya they are controllable and customizable. Cool. What is the flow pattern.

Korillia's have the little nozzle, or just open. It gets hard to get it right in my tank. Either I have to shoot it across the tank, or what ever is closet when I go to wide pattern gets blasted. Not too unhappy, it's just a powerhead, but I have considered Vortecs if the flow pattern was better.

What makes it more confusing is the fact it is not able to be aimed..... so the pattern has to be pretty broad and diffused.... which is good.

4. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Very broad. Basically everywhere gets flow. I have one in my 45 right now. It is a 3ft tank. I have to keep it at half power to keep my frags on the rock. It makes awesome current everywhere.

5. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

So could you describe the flow pattern. I mean does it just move water, or is it a stream or a cone?

Like my K4 has a "cone" without the nozzle. Say 45 degrees. Which is cool. But my corals closest to it get blasted on the edge of that cone. We all know K's can move water, it just gets hard to position mine.

So the vortecs interest me cause they are not adjusted but just stick on the wall and everyone raves about the flow.

6. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

jonjonwells pretty much summed it up,everywhere gets flow there isn't a set angle of flow, it is throughout the whole tank.

7. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I would like to check one out.

8. Click Here!

9. Lunchbox

Lunchbox Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

10. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I have one on my 55. The flow is very broad and diffuse, yet strong. For example, mine is about 7-8" under the surface and it still causes great surface aggitation throughout the entire surface of the tank. It also creates a great undertow, because the water needs to get back to the power head somehow. The undertow really helps to keep your sand/substrate clean. Also, the suction is much more powerful than normal powerheads, in a good way, so that it actually draws water from below it too, preventing a dead spot right below it. I usually have mine set on the reef crest or lagoon mode, so the actual output continually changes. So I am able to have my montipora digitata colony basically right next to it without it being completely blasted. It's great for sps as you can really see the polyps come out and move in the current. I also have my frogspawn, bubble and acans that are all doing great too. I really like this power head and feel the price was totally worth it.

11. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Well I picked one up and put it on Monday. I will say it is everything you guys say. Love it right now. Don't have room for two, but the one is only at like 60%.

12. Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie Feather Duster

Wow, Guitar and Power has the same footprint as I do, I guess having the MP40 instead of the MP 20 would have been they way to go. I got some poor advise on which one I should have bought-Some of the reasons why I call this site home and RC, my home away from home. RS is a spot I may got to for vacations-LOL
    Love them analogies?

Well I can say 2 MP20's in a 75 gallon rock-;D