Ecotech VorTech MP40

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Lunchbox, Sep 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. austeve

austeve Bristle Worm

my lil MP10 makes me smile whenever I enter the room :)

also I find it very hard to believe 50% of vortechs fail

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Lunchbox

Lunchbox Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

My MP40 showed up yesterday.;D I wont have time to set it up till Friday.:( Nothing worst than getting a new toy and not being able to play with it for a week. I guess I could start scraping the coralline off the glass in preparation.:-/

4. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

Sounds fun, always love scraping that stuff! :)

1 person likes this.
  5. Bunner

Bunner Bubble Tip Anemone

mine busted and its was fixed but now some funny crap going on with it now after 1 year...

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  6. StrainedSky

StrainedSky Spaghetti Worm

Congrats on the purchase ;D

1 person likes this.
  7. Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie Feather Duster

Wre you able to find a deal anywhere?
    Regardless, now that I have figured out the problem with mine was an over tightened nut on the shaft the propeller slides onto-All is good, it has not shut down at all.

If yours ever shuts down (as mine did about every week or so) make sure that nut is less than finger tight. I think it spins reversed to the threads so it does not need to be tight. Imay be wrong but for sure changed everything once I "figured" it out.

Enjoy, I hope you can get by with just the one-deep down inside IMO you'll want another.

Anyway enjoy, they are nice!!

8. Click Here!

9. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

That's about the only issue I've heard of. It's completely a user issue. It happened to me too when I cleaned it and tried to tighten it. No permanent damage at all. The wet side will just "torque" off the side of the aquarium.

10. Lunchbox

Got home from work yesterday and started scraping the coralline off the glass. My tank is built into the wall of our family room and the only access is from the back which is in the laundry room. I was dreading this because the top of the tank is at about 6 feet and standing on a ladder scraping the glass after a long day at work just sucks. Turns out it wasn't so bad it only took about 5 minutes to clear off a spot for the new MP40. Now I still had about 20 minutes before I had to pick up my daughters from dance practice. Plenty of time to get the controller mounted on the wall and the powerhead mounted on the tank. Plugged it in moved the wet side around till I found the sweet spot and I was up and running. I started playing with the settings trying to set up the pump disconnect calibration when the phone rang. It's my girls and they are pissed because I forgot to pick them up. Oops. Came back got everything set up no problems everything running smoothly so far. Not sure which mode is best I'm running the reef crest mode now but open to suggestions.

11. Lunchbox

Reefnjunkie, I did find a deal. I was just about to order from Marine Depot they had a deal running with free shipping. My wife the e-bay junkie found an auction that was just about to end. Long story short ten minutes later we won the auction. Brand new $355 + $16 for shipping. After saving about $50 and getting what I wanted my wife's I told you and you never listen to me bla bla bla...... dint seen to bother me.

12. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

The only problem with buying it on ebay is what if it brakes. Marine Depot is a reputable company with an easy return process.