EcoTech Marine Radion LED - What could it be?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Seano Hermano, Aug 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Wow! While everyone has been awaiting the Ecotech Radion, AquaIllumination swoops in like a Phoenix to steal the show!!!!

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Yeah, really! haha

4. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

A few points I would like to bring up since im a ai sol owner.

obviously if we are talking who has the bigger wattage, the ecotech wins, but really the greens are using 12w and the reds are using 12w. the whites and blue are being run at 5w. (correct me if im wrong but arent all cree 5w but they only run at 3w for efficiency reasons?)

Secondly, about controlability of the color temp. My ai sol can do 6500k to 20,000k+.

On a side note, I wanna say that im not trying to "bash" any company, i mean i have an ecotech mp10. but to be fair AI isnt all that far behind with the SOL.

5. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Saying that I feel it will rust is not bashing the product, but stating my opinion on the product.

The Vortec line is great, but I feel this is a dud. That simple. If 6-8 months pass with owners reporting no major issues, I would probably buy the product. until then, I think it will rust at certain points.

6. Seano Hermano

I was thinking it had the ability to do that...

7. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

Sorry but I'm not debating the sol is a good light. It is very good. The point of this is showing how the ecotech surpasses the ai sol. In fact ai has even brought out newer technology now that should be used in comparison instead of the sol. The ai nano is a very compact but amazingly powerful lamp. And the new addition of making the "Phoenix" as 2 nanosecond put together because the technology is improving.

The sol is a great light. The first of it's kind to set the standard in led lights. But that light is now almost 2 years old. Technology and efficiency improves very fast.

Sorry also i didn't know the ai sol white can change from 6k to 20k. I thought you would need both colors together the white and blue to reach that.

8. Click Here!

9. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

yeah, you have to have a controller of some sort, whether its the ai contoller or one of acceptable controller on the market. You can set up 14 independent timers with ramp up times and everything.

I have the sol blue and each led ( white, blue, and royal blue) are controllable independtly of each other from 0 to 100%

10. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

I'm really inexperienced when it comes to LED... never have owned one, but have researched them.

In my opinion, there is a market for all of these lights (the Nano, Sol, Phoenix and Radion) simply because they output different amounts of light over a wide price range. I'm assuming that light output depends on power consumption for that comparison.

If there is a light that the Radion may out-compete it could be the Orphek PR-156. It's more expensive, less powerful and lacks the control it's other competitors offer. For some reason the Orphek PR-156's relation to other LEDs reminds me of the Sun Light Tek Light's (T5) relation to other T5 fixtures... the Tek offers tons of light output, but sometimes I wish I bought one of the Tek's competitors that also include timers, fans and moon lights for the same price (man... reading over those simple features of T5 lights make T5 technology seem so low tech!). I think Orphek needs to offer more features soon, or risk being out competed by less expensive, feature-rich lights like the Radion and Phoenix.

Anyways, for an LED newb like me this is all great! This weeks news has made a possible transition to LED much more affordable.

11. Seano Hermano

+1. Some good points in this post.

12. qualitydaydream

qualitydaydream Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I'm excited for this as well.

I currently use two of the PR-156W + UV in Black and love them.

I wish the Ecotech had a better looking exterior. If it did AND the color was better than my Orphek I would switch in a heart beat.

Based on the prototype pics from the show the color is not all that.

So far everything lack's something. I'm hoping something controllable, sexy on the outside, with mind blowing color gets released soon as I'm always looking to upgrade.