EcoTech Marine Radion LED - What could it be?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Seano Hermano, Aug 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Just an FYI, he is not on any payrolls.

Fan mounted down, unprotected screws facing down, unprotected USB port, I think this will be a bucket of rust in just a few months.

It is nice that it is modular, but reminds me of the AI SOL led pendants.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. ricoop

ricoop Skunk Shrimp

JJL beat me to putting a link up, but Mr. Saltwater tank is doing an experiment with it. He's running the Radion on half and 250w MH on the other half of the tank. Check out the video. He doesn't go into a whole lot of detail, but you do get to see it over a tank along with some PAR readings on it.

4. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

5. Beachbreak

Beachbreak Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

A guy in our local reef club has had them for a few weeks. Looks like all the photos ecotech is using are from his tank/home: MARSHReef.com

6. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

Sorry I have to disagree with you completely. After now seeing photos of that light in action and thats only a test model not fully loaded, with the proper drivers and everything, that light will turn ai sol's obsolete. Those screws your talking about could very easily be replaced or covered up, they are part of a hanging brack from that guys tank shot.

The only thing similiar to ai is the lights are both in rectangular boxes.
    The usb connection i think is far better than a simple controller, much more customization like on the vertex units.

Do you really think anything by Ecotech will turn into a rust bucket in a few months?

7. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Really, the screws that are holding the acrylic/plastic piece to the fixture are from a hanging kit? Could have fooled me. When you spend $750 on a light, you should not have to replace or hide a single thing.

Yes, the usb is better tha a simple controller but it will still rust out with the way it is incorporated. Not to mention with the fan being on the bottom. If it pulls air from the tank, the moist air will help corrode the inside of the fixture. If it blows the air down towards the tank, you are blowing hot air at your tank. There goes the benefit of no water heating issues that is one of the great benefits of LEDs.

They both have the circular modules for the LEDs to be removed, replaced, upgraded. To me, it looks like the AI Sol just with two big circles of LEDs. Anyway, you can hook the AI Sol to an apex and have it fully controllable. Plus, you will be able to access the controls from anywhere. You don't need to attach it to a computer like you do the Radion.

I feel it will rust in a few months. Not sure which will go first, the inside, screws, or usb port, but one of them will. It would not be hard to make the usb port water resistant, replacing the modular screws with nylon screws, but you still can't fix the issue with the fan. No matter which way it blows, you will run in to an issue.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  8. Click Here!

9. clarkkey594

clarkkey594 Aiptasia Anemone

It will be interesting to see what Ecotech does with that fan situation. It seems like having it mounted on the bottom is the worst possible place to me.

10. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

With out having the unit apart you can't really tell where the fan is blowing. It looks like there are vents on either side so I would assume that is the exhaust. But the circuitry could be isolate from the path of the air and there could be to separate heat sinks so the air goes up across the heat sinks and out. I admit it doesn't seem like the best idea though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

11. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

"The fan blows air in and out the sides of the enclosure, cooling the big internal heat sinks along the way. The fan is extremely quiet and inaudible in any real world application. And because of the way the airflow system is designed, users can mount their XR30w units directly to the top of canopies, although I suspect few aquarists will choose this mounting option because it covers the beautiful laser-etching and impedes access to the control panel. All the internal electronics are isolated to prevent damage from moisture/humidity."

From this it sounds like they thought out the fan already. i apologize if i sound rude or anything, but i am a huge fan of ecotech, and dislike how so many people are bashing it.

12. clarkkey594

clarkkey594 Aiptasia Anemone

I don't think that anyone on here is bashing but simply giving the product a good look over. I guess we won't really know until someone on here gets their hands on one of the fixtures.