ecosystem refugiums

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by hottielover14, Feb 7, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

20 pounds and It's just plain reef sand.

2. Click Here!

3. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Please read this link:
    http://www.3reef.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Water;action=display;num=1073775519

If you added more then a pound or two of live rock you probably started the cycle again. Doing water changes during a cycle gives you false hope because it does lower the levels you test but not by bacteria growth the way it is supposed to be, but by diluting the concentration of those levels. By only using reef sand you didn't hurt anything but you also lost the benefit of adding bacteria that live sand does and that benefit alone justifies the cost difference. At this point you are ahead of the tank slow down take a step back admire the tank and let it catch up.

4. hottielover14

how does LR make the cycle start all over. Yeah but won't the LR over time turn the sand into LS.

5. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Live rock has die off whether it is cured or not once it is removed from the water and then put back in. The amount varies depending on how long out of the water ( I have no scientific data but if with any rock I have moved the longer out of the water the longer it took to come back) So when you added the lr you have die off--die off equals ammonia spike---ammonia spike turns to high nitrites-- high nitrites turn to nitrates. Yes eventually the dead sand will become live sand even without live rock but it is a slow process. I ran two 10 gal test tanks for a year one with live rock and live sand the other with live rock and dead sand, the lr/ls tank did much better with everything else being equal.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=hottielover14 link=board=Refugium;num=1076193383;start=60#70 date=02/21/04 at 12:44:16]20 pounds and It's just plain reef sand.[/quote]

So you have 20 lbs of sand in a 55 gallon tank? Is it 48x13 surface area like stock 55 tanks?

Because by my calulations, using the sand calculator on the sand page, you don't even have 1 inch of sand on the bottom. Is this true?

If so, you should try to add more to get 4 inches of sand on the bottom. This will eventually really help with the nitrates go down. You may need 100 more lbs! Seriously.

Everything Phil says is true too.

7. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Sorry I was busy and couldn't get back to this HL14. Matt and Phil are right on track. This was where I was heading in my discussion with you.

It usually takes 8 - 10 weeks to proprly cyle your tank and that's if it is set up properly. Read Matt's signature, "Go slow and let it grow is where it's at!

8. Click Here!

9. hottielover14

i read some where that too deep of sand can also cause high nitrates. is this true. How will more sand lower the nitrates. yes it is a 48x13.

10. hottielover14

if i add a refuge will it help. is it good to add during the cycle. But it's been about 12-13 weeks.

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=hottielover14 link=board=Refugium;num=1076193383;start=75#76 date=02/21/04 at 14:18:16]i read some where that too deep of sand can also cause high nitrates. is this true. How will more sand lower the nitrates. yes it is a 48x13.[/quote]

I would just stay middle of the road and go around 4 inches. That's not too deep. At least 3 inches. Your nitrates will go down.

I wouldn't go any deeper, some do, but I don't like the ant farm look.

A refugium will eventually help. But I am beginning to think your main problem has been feeding your crabs and not having enough sand.

12. hottielover14

but how can I add sand I alrady have LR and shells on the bottom and others.