ecosystem refugiums

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by hottielover14, Feb 7, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Test your water from the DI for nitrates as the DI won't remove them. The filter media in your canister can also produce nitrates and phosphates. Flake food is high in nitrates and not having fish may add to your problem. Try some frozen mysis shrimp and add an RO unit. Clean your filter media in both your filters weekly. Regular water changes, 5% - 10% weekly, will also export nitrates and phosphates.

Do you have any Live Rock?

HTH

4. hottielover14

yes how will not having fish be a problem. Yes I have 25 lbs. of LR.

5. Craig Manoukian

Any uneaten flake food will elevate nitrates!

6. hottielover14

i tested my DI water and it has no nitrates. I'm doing a 10 gal. water change right now. I tested it today and they were at 12.5 ppm. My nitrites are still high i don't know why. Will the refuge take my nitrates down to 0. Nitrites?Ammonia?

7. Craig Manoukian

You've got something that is spiking. Your nitrites, if that is correct, are very toxic to your crustaceans. They don't have a system advanced enough to handle elevated levels. Your refugium will help export nitrates and phosphates.

Your 55 gallon has been up and running for 3 months I believe. If your tank has not fully cycled, in other words if your initial cycle did not produce enough ammonia, then you may not have a sufficient nitrobacteria population to brakdown the nitrites to nitrates. Remember ammonia and nitrites should read zero as they are converted to free oxygen by a sufficient bacteria population.

Nitrates and phosphates, while not toxic to your fish and crustaceans should also be as close to zero as possible to avoid algae and cyano bacteria blooms and other issues.

What other things can you tell us about your water, ie. temp, specific gravity,

8. Click Here!

9. hottielover14

it's 84 degrees and the gravity is 1.022. I've done 2 water changes the last 2 days that totaled 25 gal. How can I get the nitrite down. I have 5 snails that are always pooping, does any fish or invert eat poop because I have a lot of it and i heard that it is fertilizer for algae. How do u control the poop in your tank.

10. hottielover14

how can i correct the problem if my tank didn't produce enough ammonia.

11. hottielover14

hello I need some advice please

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

This is a new tank right?
    You shouldn't be doing water changes during the cycle.
    Nitrites and ammonia will go down as bacteria grows. Let the cycle complete.
    You don't need to feed snails and crabs they eat detris - crap on the bottom.

I've never seen snail poop but I wouldn't worry about it.

84 degrees is a little on the high side, while your tank is cycling I'd think about fans or other ways to cool your tank.