ecosystem refugiums

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by hottielover14, Feb 7, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

How big is this Refugium again? and what lights are on it now?
    I leave mine on 24/7
    Do you have a LFS near you that would have the algae needed?

2. Click Here!

3. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

it's about 15 gal. and I have a jali 18 PC on it. No i would have to buy them online.

4. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Pods will eventually find their way there. to keep them multiplying you need to :
    1) keep pod eating fish out
    2)plenty of macro algae to feed on/breed(some are better than others) and some LR to forage on
    theres probly a few more things im missing. I run my lights 24/7 to keep algae from going asexual

5. hottielover14

;D :D 8) :p

I was thinking of getting some feather calpura and grape calpura. What kind do U have? Instead of having LR can I just have LS in there. How does keeping the lights on 24/7 keep them from going sexual. How is your refugium hooked to your tank. What size of water flow does your return pump have.

6. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

7. hottielover14

thanks, awsome link. But how is your refugium hooked to your main tank.

8. Click Here!

9. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

I use grape calpura. When lights are on this keeps them growing and not thinking about sex..... :D
    I have a small separate pump going to the refugium and then a bulk head gravity PVC pipe going back to the sump area through a sponge block and then a MAG 700 or 750 back to the main tank.
    I just put the grape calpura in and a LR on top of it and the grape calpura roots in. I also put scrap rock in there and old corals skeletons. Only have 2 inches of LS in there.

10. hottielover14

is it better to have the return pump in the main tank or the refugium because I' m planning on having it in my main tank. Can I put my Red Sea Prism skimmer and anything else in my ecosystem refugium. what kind of hoses should I get to plumb my fuge to my tank, PVC or flexi hoses. what kind of check valve should I get.

11. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

OK lets see here....
    how r u getting water to the fuge? did you decide to put it above your main tank? if so then put the pump in the main (easier on the pump)
    you can use what evers easiest for you I used PVC and a check valve from Home Depot or you can go to marine depot they also carry some
    http://marinedepot.com/a_ft_2.asp?CartId=#cv

12. hottielover14

I'm gonna put it above my tank. Ok i was thinking of getting flexible PVC and a check valve. Can I put my Prism protein skimmer in any of the sections of my ecosystem refugium.