ecosystem refugiums

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by hottielover14, Feb 7, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

YOu need to go back and reread this thread. We are talking in circles.

2. Click Here!

3. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

so if i have a 55 gal. with a 14 gal. refuge and 50 lbs of sand in my main tank and 10 in my refuge do they all combine to about 70 gal. and 60 lbs of sand. Or is it seperate

4. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Yes. Any increase in biofiltration, live sand and rock, will increase the ability of your tank's dentrification process.

5. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Re: ecosystem refugium

Is this still the same thread? In my opinion the tank should be able to hold its own first then worry about a refugium don't count a a peripheral tank to support the main. All parts should work with the whole. The fuge , protein skimmer and what ever else you are using should work with the tank not every device supporting but supplementing. WOW did I ramble or did it make sense I need food.

6. hottielover14

i was just curious so if somebody asked me I could say 70 gal. and 60 lbs. of LS.

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=hottielover14 link=board=Refugium;num=1076193383;start=90#91 date=02/23/04 at 19:31:33]so if i have a 55 gal. with a 14 gal. refuge and 50 lbs of sand in my main tank and 10 in my refuge do they all combine to about 70 gal. and 60 lbs of sand. Or is it seperate[/quote]

I'd say it's separate. You need deep sand in the ball park of 4 inches to get decent denitrification. That's why I said you need 100 more lbs in your tank, that will bring the 1 inch you have now to 4 inches.

If you had a big enough refugium that was close to the footprint of your tank, then you could have the deep sand there and less in your main tank. But I bet you have a smaller refugium, so add it to your tank.

8. Click Here!

9. hottielover14

what about 2-3" would that be good. would it do a good job of denitrification.

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

You are so stubborn. ::)
    2-3 OK, 4 better is the consensus last I looked.

11. hottielover14

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

YES It is!!

Now look, obviously I am loosing my patience here and I don't do that normally. Several times your questions have been answered and you seem to find a way to rephrase the question down the road.

Let's try to keep the ping-pong down and stick to the subject, which in this case, was Ecosystem Refugiums.

Thanks.