EcoBak Project for BioCube, new sump plans

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Biocube, Sep 22, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

It's okay :) No worries.

Since the skimmer is external the pump included acts as a recirculating pump. I have a 565 GPH pump powering this entire build. It should be able to gently tumble a few Tsb of pellets and lead directly into the skimmer. Also I'll have carbon running parallel to the BioPellets.

2. Click Here!

3. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Build has been stopped, after thinking I don't want my cloths to smell like skimm and that stand is way to big for the closet.

I am going to build a custom sump to fit everything I need inside the stand.

4. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

I am going to build an acrylic sump and plan to have the skimmer inside. I'll still be using my closet for the reactor and pump along with ALK/Ca and ATO tank.

5. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

I'm thinkin' it's time for a 75 gallon DT. ;D

6. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

I wish, but house first. Plus I have so much time and money invested into this tank.

7. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

No reason not to right?

8. Click Here!

9. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

Bio, I do think its time to upgrade before you put too much time and money into the 29.. That's just my opinion..

10. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

As much as you guys think I need to upgrade I simply can't. I have no room and have already invested a lot of time into my current tank.

11. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Alright so now that I have had some time, I measured and drew up some plans for my new acrylic sump. The sump will be big enough to house the skimmer and return pump inside the stock Biocube stand. The black wood you see below is what I am using for dimensions, its a modified shelf for my stock stand.

Here are the current dimensions:

Thick - .25"
    Length - 17.5"
    Width - 16"
    Height - 13"
    Max Water Volume - 15 US Gallons

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

I would hold off on adding a new sump. Taking your current sump offline and adding this one without any liverock or sand takes out a big chunk of your biofilter. I think you will kill your tank this way. This is why we designed the skimmer/biopellet reactor to be external. It doesn't affect your existing sump or biofilter at all this way. If you want to use the skimmer and biopellet reactor combo I believe your options are use the stand we built and use the original design or scrap the idea completely. If you were to use this system as an in sump set up your best bet would be to get a new tank and start over. In my opinion it is extremely stupid not to. Either way if you set this up best of luck. Keep us posted on the progress.