ECO-Aqualizer, My Review, Locked and Loaded...

Discussion in 'Product Review Archives' started by CheckMateKingll, Apr 19, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CheckMateKingll

CheckMateKingll Feather Duster

Reefguy,
    Not to be repetitive but if you have read this thread from the get go you will see that I had listed the additives I was useing. If after your research you still have a question feel free to post here, I'll try to explain the best I can.
    To maintain CA/ALK I use test kits to moniter when needed.
    HTH

2. Click Here!

3. reefguy

reefguy Astrea Snail

Oh sorry, I did see that you mention SeaChem. I guess what I don't understand is how the Eco-Aqualizer effects the rate of Ca/Alk depletion and what about its use requires you to add less than you would without it? In my tank for example, I use a two-part solution (B-Ionic) and I add 40ml of each per day. You seem to be saying in your review that using this product would reduce the need for those types of additives. If that is the case, how does this work? Obviously it doesn't create elements. Since my corals are constantly using Ca in their growth and they, and other, organisms in the tank are using trace elements (not to mention amounts potentially removed through other filtration methods), how does this device reduce the need to add these elements? I guess one could argue that the EcoSystem leeches some of these elements back into the water column, but I don't think that is what you're implying. Is it?

4. CheckMateKingll

In this Forum you will find excellent articles by Wrassman on SeaChem products in which I had switched to, I also had used B-Ionics. In those post I beleive you would find some interesting info.
    Types of additives, your choice, those types?
    Do you do controled testing? 40ml. a day with B-ionics would send your Alk thru the roof, I know, I did the same.
    If you want to compare Apples to Apples, you can't, not with me, all enviroments are different.
    I have reduced the DOSAGE of additives by using the Eco-Aqualizer, maybe that is what confusses you, the DOSAGE.
    I can only say, In My Opinion, get one, you have 90 days to test and see the results, after 2 1/2 months you don't see a difference then send it back, as I understand, no Questions asked.
    I hope you find the answeres your lookin for, there are some links provided in the Library and remember,
    These are my observations, there is no debate from me, so if you would, try it, observe and post your own thread on what you find.

"Oh sorry, I did see that you mention SeaChem."

This statement makes me believe that you are trying to discredit my observations. You obviously just jumped in without reading this whole thread.
    Reef Central has a good bebate about this product, but i'm sure you already know that, huh, LMAO

5. reefguy

reefguy Astrea Snail

First off, let me say thank you for your time in responding.  I sense that I may have touched a nerve with you on this subject and want to say that my inquiries into your methods are simply that, inquiries.  I'm attempting to decide if this device will work for me by learning how and why it works the way folks say it does.  Nothing more, nothing less.

I did read the review of the SeaChem products by Wrassman and they were excellent.

Next, in my work I do controlled testing all the time, so perhaps that is why I'm looking for results derived from testing conducted in a reproducible environment.  

In regards to B-Ionics, I'm not certain as to why you had the problems that you did, but I can assure you I've been dosing the product for the past 18 months (starting at a lower dose obviously and increasing as the demand increased).  I have read where people had this problem, but I have not been one of them.  I guess my question remains the same:  What physical attribute or effect of the Eco-Aqualizer allowed you to reduce the dosage?  What is it doing that creates a condition of lower demand for Ca/Alk and trace elements within your tank?  Since it is doubtful that the demand is lower (assuming that the organisms are healthy and growing), how is it making more of the elements available so that dosing at non-Eco-Aqualizer levels isn't required?

I'm not sure why you are defensive about this discussion.  I'm not trying to discredit your observations, I'm simply trying to find out the science behind your observations.  I did in fact read the entire thread before posting, and it was your observations that led me to post these questions to you.  The way I see it, based on what you've written, there have been many variables at play during various points in your experiment:  1.) The on-going maturation of your EcoSystem, 2.) The switch to SeaChem products,  3.) an elimination of water changes and 4.) the addition of the Eco-Aqualizer.   Each of these four things is a variable which may (in part or in whole) result in the non-quantifiable effects you have noted.  If the conditions you have noted are in fact due to this device, that would be great.  Unfortunately, for these results to be undeniably attributable to the device, the other variables must be eliminated as possible causes.

I have found many "debates" about this product at various message boards (including some at Reef Central).  Most are one-sided however, which lead me to post my questions here. My hope was that someone would be able to give me an answer to, what I consider to be, valid questions. This is one of the few sites where the overwhelming opinion seems to be positive.  As I said, I'm simply trying to discern the scientific fact and reason behind the success that people like yourself have experienced.  I'm keeping an open mind about the product.  Perhaps I will take you up on your challenge to test the product, however I hesitate because I don't have the means to set up two identical tanks to truly test the product and hence my observations would be nothing more than anecdotal.

TIA,

Reefguy

6. CheckMateKingll

Your Welcome Reefguy,
    I totally understand where your comming from. Scientist, I never claimed, my observation I have. You have valid reasons to search for your answeres, answeres that I cannot explain not the mechanics just the observations at intervals in time.
    Good Luck

7. Yikes

Yikes Plankton

Hey ,Checkmate King, preciate the review! i have what might be a dumb question for you. I didn't see the Eco-aqualizer in your setup in the pic of your sump. I saw what looked like a protein skimmer on the left. Does it not look the same as on the website? Where's it at?
    Thanks

8. Click Here!

9. CheckMateKingll

Hi Yikes,
    The pic. that is shown is when I started my ECO, in that post I explained where and how I was setting up the unit.
    It is not a pic with the unit set up, only a reference shot.
    That wasn't a dumb question, by the way, that is a UV sterilizer in the pic. on the left. I no longer use it..
    HTH

10. Yikes

Yikes Plankton

I too am curious how/why your tank has less of a demand for calcium. I guess we can add it to the list of unaswered questions for now. You'll have to forgive me, i'm new here. I don't know what your livestock in the tank is, are you keeping corals? either way, i would appreciate your thoughts on the allelopathy (sp?)
    issue. it is my understanding that with the "Eco-System" setup you don't use a skimmer, is this right? with or without the eco-aqualizer, how does the eco-system setup deal with these pollutants? how are they reduced/used/eliminated with no skimming? I'm a big fan of skimming, and from reading eco-aqualizers site, they say (among other benefits) this magnetic/far-infrared process helps the skimmer/filtration units to be more efficient. i'll be setting up a new tank soon and i appreciate your thoughts on these things.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

I don't mean to sound negative but I also do not understand the reasoning that you do not have to add as much additives now that you have the ecoaqualizer. What does that product have to do with your calcium and alk depleting? If you do have corals you must add calcium. It does not introduce into your tank through the air. This is the first time I have heard this resulting from the use of the ecoaqualizer. Can you please explain this?
    Sorry for signing on as a guest but I just moved and I plan on registering as soon as I get settled in.

12. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I see that as asking a valid question and having ZERO to do with any product line.

CheckMateKing!! -

You made the statement you are adding less supplements becuase of the Eco-Aqualizer, is that something they are claiming now, or just something you've seen? BTW, was you tank stable before the Eco-Aqulizer, and how old was it prior ? Did you have any "crashes" prior to the Eco-Aqualizer? Spare me the "go look back" line (which was quite lame!!!), I did and didn't see that. Your getting a little too touchy with your review, he asked a very valid question and you went off the deep end. Desensitize yourself from your post a little more, he wasn't flaming you, bashing you, he was asking you some valid questions of your previous posts that you hadn't made that clear.

Reefguy -

I donated my old unit to MAtt M. at Inland Aquatics, he's going to do some controlled tests with another unit and disect mine. Unfortunatly (well, not really) his store and reefs.org are doing a joint test of major salt brands and thats ahead of the Eco_aqualizer testing. To make matters worse, he's been moving his business for the past several months, so who knows when this will get done. Hopefully soon, I'm really interested.