ECO-Aqualizer, My Review, Locked and Loaded...

Discussion in 'Product Review Archives' started by CheckMateKingll, Apr 19, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CheckMateKingll

CheckMateKingll Feather Duster

I had recieved my E-55 today, oh boy, and installed unit at about 4pm EST. A Rio 600 powers the ECO, they recommend a 400 but I had put a restrictor on and cut it down 1/4. I will purchase a 400 in the near future.

The RIO is placed on the right side compartment of my ECO-System which is also the return from the Main tank, it exit's to the far left of the ECO-System which then goes back into the Main tank. Here is a Pic. of my System minus the UV. I choose this setup so it would be as accurate as possible for gph flow.
    [​IMG]
    Here is a Diagram that Wrass made for me,,,
    http://www.3reef.com/uploads/SteveH_ECO_Setup.bmp

I want to do a controlled review on this, yes, I had paid for mine, so I will report my findings weekly or sooner, for obvious changes, in this thread, any questions, feel free to ask...

I had run a series of tests before installation which are as follows,,,
    PH..............8.1
    Salinity........1.025
    Calcium........450ppm
    Alkalinity......10.2dkh
    Magnesium...1440ppm
    Nitrates.......10ppm
    Temp...........79
    Last Water Change, 4/02, 10gal.

I am dosing SeaChem products, here is a link and what I will be using,,,
    http://www.marinedepot.com/a_ad_seachem_info.asp?CartId=

I will use,,,
    Reef Complete
    Reef Calcium
    Reef Plus
    Reef Buffer
    Each additive performs a different function and the link I gave gives a discription. I do believe Wrass is testing with the same additives and hopefully he will do a review on these products....

Since installing my E-55, 4 hours later, I have noticed 2 things that were obvious to me.
    I have 4, 55wt, PC 50/50 bulbs a little over 4 wts. per gal. and noticed the tank had gotten a little brighter, this is one of the benefits of the E-55, light penetration and scattering.
    The second, watched this for at least 30 min., my Purple Tang was not chasing 2 wrasse's that he was always harrassing, pretty funny, seems like it mellowed out, one stressed Tang(tried to give it a Valium), another benefit, will look for this as days pass.

I am excited about this product and hope that it does for me what it has for thousands of others. I will try to accurately post all activity in my tank from this day foward.

By the way, I have a 180 day guarantee, so you all know what I'm going to do if I am not 100% totally satisfied.

Let the testing begin, for me, hehe...

2. Click Here!

3. CheckMateKingll

UpDate 18 Hours Later,,,
    Lights went on and Water Clarity was Crystal clear, Looked as if the tank didn't have any water in it,,,
    Inside much brighter because of Water Clarity, one of the benefits of the ECO-E55,,,
    So far no fatalities, hehe...

4. CheckMateKingll

21 1/2 hour Observation,,,
    Any tint of yellowing water is completly gone. I say this cause my Eco-System has not fully kicked in yet, Calurpa is growing but has not filled middle cavity yet. I am glad that I see it and know for sure that it can't be the Eco-System doing it.

There was a detectable odor, like dying seaweed, from my Eco-System, I say this because of the cyano, choking off some of the Calurpa and it is a smaller area were odor is detected better. I cannot detect this odor like I have before, clear observation.

There seems to be a calm, tranquil state of mind that my fish are showing, they seem to be enjoying there surroundings rather then dodging each other.

I also noticed that my Purple Tang has not scratched his body using the sand like it normally does, hmmm, interesting observation there.

I have great polyp extension, but then again I had this before because I keep my MAG. reading high, i will continue to watch for this.

Orange Ricordia Shrooms seem to be a little more Orange in color, might be due to the light penetration and water clarity.

All in all at this time I'm pretty happy with what I see that is noticable in this short time frame... More to come....

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Wow another review going on! :)

If this thing really is clearing the water up like you guys say, it might be worth the price of admission just for that.. interesting!

Hey, now that I am thinking about it, does it say in the instructions anything about cleaning it down the road like a UV?

I imagine it has to get some buildup in it that might affect it.

6. CheckMateKingll

Yeah Matt,,
    The instructions that come with it say's, every 12 months to run a tube brush thru it just for that reason...
    It recommends clear tubing so you will know when to do it, I would guess to say that because of the water quality it produces that it will be a while for this to happen, just like water changes...
    That is all...

7. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

[glow=LimeGreen, 1, 90%]Hey CMKll,

Congratulations on getting your ECO and getting it setup correctly. I told you your water would clear in a hurry. It did, didn't it??

Takes care of odors pretty fast too. Although mine still has an odor. It is more like a healthy SW inlet, such as a bayou, or a small bay.
    [/glow]

[glow=Green, 3, 90%]As for the additives and your Mag, Steve; you had been using Kent Marine Tech-M for your Magnesium, which is almost 100% Magnesium Chloride (salt). This can give an inflated value for Magnesium, and certainly doesn't reflect the "bio-availabity" of the Magnesium.

The Seachem Additives are interrelated and are based on a "bio-availability model," rather than a "testing model." For that reason, your readings of both Ca and Mg may be quite different than what you were getting before. However, don't be concerned, the Ca, Mg, and Strontium in your water will be much more available to your critters than before (this is my opinion, but I'll be glad to argue that with anyone -- in another thread).
    [/glow]

[glow=Maroon, 3, 90%]Good Luck!!! I know things are going to go VERY well in your tank!!![/glow]

[smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=biglaugh.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=lol.gif] [smiley=thumbs_up1.gif]​

8. Click Here!

9. CheckMateKingll

Wrass,,,
    Would you explain this in Laymans terms?
    Tank You

10. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

[glow=Brown, 2, 100%]Hey Bud,

I was trying to say that Seachem Products are not just "for show;" they are synergistic and are meant to be used by the critters in the tank. Reef Complete, Reef Plus, and Reef Calcium are all meant to be used together, and complement each other very well. They each contain Calcium in different forms, so that as they are added to the water column, the total Calcium is increased, of course, but much of it is immediately available to tank inhabitants as FOOD.

Other additive manufacturers seem to be more interested in making sure that their Calcium shows up on tests. So, they use Calcium Chloride (salt) which is not as readily used by the tank inhabitants. That is one of the reasons it remains in the tank longer than the Calcium in Seachem's Reef Calcium (www.seachem.com).

I hope this is a little more clearly stated.
    [/glow]

11. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I have a "T'ed" off return.  there is a master ball valve then on one of the "T's" I have put another ball valve.
    [shadow=purple, 2, 300]Could I put the ECO-Aqualizer after the second ball valve on my return line?[/shadow]

Thanks to both of you for the review. I look forward to reading more about this product.

J

12. CheckMateKingll

Jakets,,,
    Click on this link,,,
    http://www.ecoaqualizer.com/installation.asp
    It shows the possible configurations that can be used, if this does not help you let us know and I will ask you some questions to clear up some confusion that I'm having with your question...
    Wrass,,,
    Thanks for the clarifacation...