ECO-Aqualizer II  Wrassman's Product Review

Discussion in 'Product Review Archives' started by Wrassman, Mar 24, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

[glow=Green, 2, 600]I'm not quite there, in recommending that everyone rush out and buy one yet. But, give me a few more days. I become more convinced every day. ;D

As for cost, Liz, mine didn't cost me anything, as Carl Denzler allowed me to try one out for the publicity I can give him if I like it. SO FAR I LIKE IT VERY, VERY MUCH!!! As I said, give me a couple more days and I will start recommending them to the public. I just want to make sure of two more things (I don't want to talk about them right now -- but I will as soon as I have them settled in my mind).

I am running my E125 on a 75gallon system (approximately). My main tank is 58g and my sump/refug is 20g; but with LR and substrate, I figure I have about 72-75gallons of water in the system.

I am running it on a Aquaclear 402 at about half speed, which gives me about 200 gph. If you will look at the diagram, it is picking up water in the refugium (from tank) side, and running it to the return (to tank) side. It bypasses my skimmer in the process, but my skimmer is really pumping out a LOT of gunk.

All of my corals look as though they have renewed life. Esecially my Scolymia sp, Button Coral, and my Toadstool Leather. I will publish new pics tomorrow to show you what I mean.

Bear with me a couple more days. I am almost ready to tell you to rush out and buy one. But, hold off until I say "go" ;D
    [/glow]​
    [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=balloon2.gif] [smiley=balloon3.gif] [smiley=guitarist.gif] [smiley=grin3.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=sunny.gif] [smiley=thumbs_up.gif] [smiley=wave.gif] [smiley=balloon.gif]​

2. Click Here!

3. Wrassman

[glow=Green, 2, 800]Hey all,

I'm sorry I haven't posted any results/evidence/reports in this thread for several days now. My life has been pretty hectic as of late. [smiley=uhoh2.gif]

I do plan to get some updated readings for you this weekend, as well as some observations that I think you will find interesting. I will try to get this done by midnight tonight; but if not, midnight Sunday night, for sure. [smiley=deal2.gif]

Thanks for your understanding.
    [/glow] [smiley=angel.gif]

4. Wrassman

[glow=Maroon, 2, 80%]I have been very lax in posting evidence and results and impressions concerning my ECO-Aqualizer. I suppose I could use my hectic home situation as an excuse, but that would be, to me anyway, trite.

So, I am going to use the next couple of days trying to make up for my inexcusable behavior, and I'm going to start with a simple photograph of how I have my ECO set up on my sump/refugium.
    [/glow] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=grin3.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=thinking2.gif] [smiley=wink3.gif]

[glow=Navy, 2, 80%]The drawing is a few replies up, but a picture sometimes tells a better story. You can see it is certainly nothing fancy. I have to be able to get into my sump/refugium, so the top comes off, but I can work around my ECO. I have not had water stop or even slow down flowing through the ECO since this all began Mar. 27th, a little over 2 weeks ago.

I will be reporting on some numbers and test results in a little while, but I wanted to get this picture up now. More pics and more results to follow!!!
    [/glow] [smiley=whip.gif] [smiley=hammer.gif] [smiley=wave.gif] [smiley=thumbs_up1.gif]

Attached Files:

5. Wrassman

[glow=Green, 3, 90%]The tests I reported the time before this were terrible, in some regards. My nitrates were way up. And so was my Calcium, it was a mess. Here are the numbers again, just so you don't have to keep flipping back and forth:[/glow]

[glow=Green, 3, 90%]Temp -- 79F
    Ammo -- 0
    Nitrite -- 0
    Nitrate -- 25ppm
    pH -- 8.3
    Ca -- 480
    Mg -- 1250
    Alk -- no test
    [/glow]​

[glow=Green, 2, 80%]Just like I told you, they are terrible. The Nitrates were elevated because I had a dying coral, of which I was unaware. My last remaining Colt frag (just a small piece, really), had picked up something that was reducing it to little slimy chunks ( Yuukkk !!! ). Fortunately, after I found what it was and pulled it out so that it could get some sun, etc., the hermit crabs decided that it was dead and cleaned it up nicely. I now have some great LR to use in various places.[/glow]

[glow=Teal, 2, 80%]My Calcium was quite elevated, as well. I really don't know why is was not precipitating at that level. It had to be a bad test. I took my water in to my LFS today so he could test if for me, so any anomolies will be just that, weirdnesses for which we should find a source and attempt a remedy.

Fortunately, we had much more understandable readings this time, and I feel a little better about the suggested water quality and what this meant for my tank and the effeciency of the ECO-Aqualizer.
    [/glow]

[glow=Navy, 2, 80%]Temp -- 79F
    Ammo -- 0
    Nitrite -- 0
    Nitrate -- 15ppm
    pH -- 8.3
    Ca -- 410
    Mg -- 1230
    Alk -- 11.5dKH
    [/glow]​

[glow=Brown, 2, 80%]I will attempt to analyze this data and put some of it into perspective in the next post.[/glow]

6. stevem650

stevem650 Astrea Snail

Wrassman.....Are you saying that the eco-aqualizer is responsible for the 2nd readings over your 1st readings? I don't think that your tank would precipitatate from a calcium reading of 480. It would have to be around 600 for that to happen. A reading of 480 is a little high but not enough to worry about.

7. Wrassman

[glow=Teal, 3, 90%]You are right, of course, stevem.  I tend to exaggerate a little.  I get paranoid if my Ca gets over 430.  I just don't like it that high.  I prefer a more balanced approach to reefkeeping.  As Aristotle said, "Moderation in all things;" I think he might have been talking about reefkeeping too.[/glow] [smiley=wink3.gif] [smiley=lol.gif]

[glow=Green, 3, 90%]The ECO is not responsible for everything in my new readings.  For instance, the dead coral is gone, so my nitrates naturally fixed themselves.  And I changed my Calcium, Magnesium brand and delivery system, so I'm sure that is what made a difference there.

What the ECO is doing is much more dynamic than can be measured by some tests.  I can see wonderful improvements in my fish, their attitudes, appetites, their coloration, and their activity levels.
    [/glow] [smiley=goldfish.gif] [smiley=thinking2.gif]

[glow=Navy, 3, 90%]I have seen improvements in my corals.  Those that were growing nicely are growing vigorously now.  Those that were just maintaining are looking better and better everyday, and are showing growth, and those that I thought were not doing well are improving each and every day.

Also, the water itself has improved.  It is clearer than ever before, even after using carbon.  It "feels" cleaner to the touch.  My protien skimmer has to be closely monitored every day, because it can suddenly start producing skimmate VERY rapidly.  And the water SMELLS better.  I know that is very subjective; but, to me, the water smells less like an aquarium, and more like saltwater in a bayou -- not dirty.
    [/glow]
    [glow=Orange, 3, 90%] ------------------------------------------------------------ [/glow]​
    [glow=Red, 3, 90%]All in all, I highly recommend the ECO-Aqualizer to all aquarists out there, novice or advanced.  You spend more money on additives (that you don't really need) than this thing costs.  Everyone should go out and buy one today.  You won't be sorry.[/glow] [smiley=thumbs_up1.gif]

8. Click Here!

9. Wrassman

A pic of my Toadstool before the ECO. It was doing well, but you can see that it's colors are not as vibrant as other toadstools are, and it looks a little "pale."
    [​IMG]

Now, for a pic of my toadstool and some leathers after the ECO. Look at how much more "vibrant" the colors are, and how "alive" everything looks. Seeing it in person, there is just no comparison!

Attached Files:

10. Wrassman

First, a pic of my Button Coral, several months ago.  It has weeks that it doesn't do well, then it has weeks where it picks up and does better.  This is one of its better growth periods:
    [​IMG]

Finally, a pic of my Scolymia sp., Button Coral, as it has done with the ECO running over 2 weeks:

Attached Files:

11. CheckMateKingll

CheckMateKingll Feather Duster

Well,,,
    I ordered mine yesterday,,,
    Free shipping as well,,,
    I can't wait to, get it on...

12. stevem650

stevem650 Astrea Snail

Wrassman...I understand what you are saying, But your nitrates were pretty high. It is possibe that since removing the dead coral and reducing your nitrate level this can be the reason for your happy tank. Many things to consider before thinking that the eco-aqualizer is the reason for better tank conditions. The eco-aqualizer might certainly be a plus to have, but I feel its just another expense and may not be a necessity to a reef tank. I would like to hear from other reefers that are using this product before making any judement on the product. JMO