Eclipse 3 hood

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Jay, Aug 21, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Does anyone know of any distributer that makes custom hood/lights for a eclipse 3 tank? It has one of those hoods that has the boiwheel built in. This doesnt leave much room for lights and only 2 openings on the back that are 4 inches for any equipment to hang in back. Right now I have a single PC retrofitted to the hood. I am just getting started in the hobby. There is so much to learn. seems like I have been reading for months.

Thanks everyone

Jay ::)

2. Click Here!

3. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Another Question:

With a 30 gal 30 inches long 12 inches front to back and 20 inches in depth what combination of lights would you prefer? I am intrested in some of the easier soft corals ans zoo's and shrooms. Can I keep any with my 25 inch 65 watt PC or should I buy more? Or what combo of lights would be the best?

Thanks for your help getting me started!
    ;D ::) ;D

4. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

Not sure about the custom hood/light thing. If I were you I would get in touch with the eclipse company. With the zoo's and shrooms only you can keep them with the light you have, but you'll need to add another 65 watt on there to keep the softies. With another 65 you may even be able to keep LPS.

5. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Thanks Reefman for the tip. I was trying to figure out how to mount my Aqua C Remora skimmer with this hood. I found a spot to mod the hood that allowes me to mount the skimmer and doesnt affect the lame bio wheel filter in hood design. I have seen a lot of people on other forums that have had the same problem. You almost have to do away with the hood completely. Im using a Magnum 350 canister right now but soon Im gonna make a refugium anf ebay the canister. I guess I seen everyones pictures of their awesome corals and reef tanks and I went out and spent a load of cash on a filter that I will probably not even need. It looks like to have livestock like you guys keep you need a sump and refuge to keep the water full of enough life and good good bacteria. I guess a mechanical filter wont cut it. You are trying to make a ecosystem that closely matches nature and a canister wont do it.....am I right?

6. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

Well you will never match nature, but a fuge would definitely help.