Easy way to hang your LED's by yourself.

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Magnus, Apr 12, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I saw those videos.. I hope I don't have to empty the whole tank. It looks this is how most people have fixed theirs, with the exception of a video where the repair is done with 2 part epoxy. Emptying the tank will be a pain with the sally light foot, tiger shrimp or watchman. It would be stressful for many.

Additionally, when it rains, it pours! Just found a leak from the gasket of the overflow bulkhead. I removed it and it is rigid. I'm soaking it in vinegar to remove all the vermetid snails and old coralline on it. Think a little silicone lubricant will help revive it to where I can use it until replacements arrives? BRS must be thinking "Ooh... yeah... I remember this guy. Welcome back buddy!"

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Just get a 50-60 gallon rimless and call it a day.

Oooooo I saw your fixture does cloud cover, I love that option on my AI.

4. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Sweet!! How do I use it? The one thing I do have to say is that the manual for the fixture is a quick guide at best.

5. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

As promised. Her's the video. Still playing with the interface and looking at different color variations. I love how crisp things look. Maybe not great from your end since I filmed this with my old galaxy S3. This is at 35% intensity for T5's and LED's.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  6. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Ha! Funny that I needed the video to catch one of my set points to be increasing the led's towards the end of the light period. Also, I'm planning to make the white LED's increase intensity to somewhere closer to the intensity of the T5's coming on... that way is not such a shocking difference when they come on. Then cut them back once the T5's are on.

I'm researching the cloud effect. I did not see anywhere in the software where to set it up.

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

lights look great! congratulations on getting that massive light set up!!

Magnus likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Entertaining read! & I feel your pain. I'm the only one in my group of friends with a tank. I have single handily put together everything except the actual tank on my own.

"My predicament lies in the hanging procedure. Being that my friends do "Fun stuff" with their weekends, I'm forever alone with my aquarium. My tiny wife (she is tiny, call her "my pocket size girl") can help me, but I don't think she will have the patient to put up with my OCD and I'm afraid I'll be less than nice if something were to happen to the lights."

I sent my GF to the mall while I hung my lights! Measured a thousand times and went for it! I was just praying the fixture didnt end up in my tank while I was putting it up there.

Magnus likes this.
  10. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Thank you!! I'm super happy with them. They're still in testing, but these are much more pleasing aesthetically and their performance is superior to my old crappy fixture by far.

Hhmmmm to the mall you say? :)
    After spending the money for the fixture, sending my "tiny wife" to the mall would absolutely cause bankruptcy :rolleyes:

I understand what you say about measuring a million times though... I tried that but since my house is all out of square, there's no telling if the 3 inches from the middle of the wall to the rim are the same 3 inches from the top of the wall to the "imaginary" ceiling tank rim I'm supposed to center them with:oops:

On a separate note, I contacted ATI about the cloud coverage option, I was definitely over thinking it. Here's their response:

Thank you for contacting us.

Cloud coverage can be simulated using the ATI Light Studio software and configuring various dimming points throughout the day.
    For example:
    14:00 reduce LED Module 1 to 50%
    14:05 reduce LED Module 2 to 50%
    14:10 reduce LED Module 3 to 50%
    14:15 reduce Channel 1 T5's by 30%
    14:45 start reversing the sequence.

This will simulate clouds coming in from one end of the tank darkening portions of the tank as the clouds move over the setup ultimately darkening the whole tank as if there was a storm present. Playing with various intensity settings to get the simulation you are looking for can yield very realistic results simulating a daily afternoon monsoon in the tropics on your reef tank.

This is achievable using the touch based interface but will be far more challenging vs using the ATI Light Studio software.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist you, or if these instructions are not clear.

Thank you again for contacting ATI North America!

Kind regards,
    Keith

11. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

So when I hung my light, I was fortunate not to have a tank underneath it. just the stand. I used my laser level and aimed it at the ceiling. from there I measured where the studs in the ceiling were based of a light fixture close. I then put a pair of screw hooks into the ceiling and into the studs. From there I had two short identical cable lengts made from Stainless cables. with S-hooks and 2 cables each, I hung my light.

i need to get a better photo of the hanging.
    [​IMG]

12. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

That sounds a lot easier, Pickupman66
    I'm lucky to have help :)