easy sps corals to start with?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by kerr, Dec 29, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kerr

kerr Plankton

I have my water under controll after seting every thing back up and I'm going to go with mostly sps this time (last time was lps and soft) but I wanted feed back on what everyone was thinking on good and easy to start with. Right now I have a green slimer, a few stray mushrooms at the bottom I was thinking about using zoo's for fillers my tank is a 90 gal. With 2 175 mh and vho

2. Click Here!

3. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

no sps is truly easy there are just some that are easier than others, i would reccomend a monti, birdsnest, any acropa coral will also be fairly easy. however birdsnest corals tend to get debris caught in their branches so youll need heavy flow to prevent this. also youll need calcium supplementation.

4. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Agree with the birdsnest, and SOME montipora. Disagree wholeheartedly with any Acropora...do not get acro's to start with. See how some simple Seriatopora(birdsnest) or Stylophora's do before venturing into Acros.

5. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Montipora seem to be the easiest, birdnest and stylophora are next in line.

6. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

sorry about the acro i should not have added that in, that was just the first ever coral i owned, got a massive frag off of craigslist for my first 29 gallon tank and it did very well. but i do agree that they are not near as easy as montis or birdsnest.

7. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

I can't agree with no SPS being easy. Easy is a relative term. Keep you water topped off, keep algae under control, and have decent flow and birdnests will be easy and grow faster than would believe. I can almost watch mine grow!! Depending on your coral needs you probably won't need to dose or supplement, as a good water change schedule would keep your numbers in check.

Basic husbandry will allow you to keep just about any birdnest sp.. I would try a stylophora or monti. They both seem to be on the easier side and come in great colors.

10. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

it all depends on the coral, and the tank. some people no matter how hard they try they cannot grow any sps coral. some people can grow as much as they want but have trouble with lps. it varies among corals, and tanks, and hobbyists.

11. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

That's very true!! I can't get zoas to do well no matter how hard I try. I just think some people are pushed away or scared off of SPS without good reason. Should it be the first coral purchased, no way, but there is no reason that someone with a little experience shouldn't give a try.

12. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

+1. Acros are an entire different monster when it comes to SPS IMO. Montipora Capricornis would be a good start. Fairly hardy and can take some abuse. Not much though. And these Montis tend to be much cheaper than most other SPS corals.