easiest sps?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by bvb-etf-luva, May 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

'll they sell nano skimmers many places. they jus "t look like a power filer
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile 6.0) 480x800 SAMSUNG SCH-i920 PPC

2. Click Here!

3. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

If you are talking about the rio nano skimmer, that is a peice of junk. You ask us if its okay to do LPS and SPS, most say very hard/no and you just reask the question. Not to get into an argument, but I think opinions have been outlined and its up to you to choose.

4. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i am in now way re asking the question, they said its hard and in no way and i a newbie so i think ill try it. but my lfs has hang on back filters that look like power filters that they use to skim their largest reef tanks. they are not junk. the same company sells ones small enough for my nano.

also would adding a tiny clam into the tank be too much? i have never kept a clam and dont know much about them

5. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

*editted*

clams are definitely not for a tank that size, doing it would be a clam death sentence.

6. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

ok, like i said i dont know much about them, do you think i could keep a maxi or 2... or 3 in there with the sps?

7. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

In one of your other threads you were in a rage against keeping maxi's? so which is it?

8. Click Here!

9. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i was not in rage, just simply tired of them and wondering if there was another nem suitable for a tiny tank such as mine. but there is not so i guess im stuck with them. which is in no way bad. haha

10. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Could you give me the name of this skimmer?
    I'd run some carbon to get rid of toxins in such a small tank.
    A clam will be nearly impossible, they suck up calcium. And other elements like a red bull.

11. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

couldnt he just use a biocube skimmer? i've heard many good reviews about them. i know they are made for 14-29 size, but hey dont't we all run equipment that is used for bigger then what we actually have?

12. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I've looked at quite a few Nano Skimmers and to be frank, they simply don't work. the problem is there is very little contact time. bubble size is one sign of a good skimmer. the smaller the better. The very high end skimmers create very small bubble and long contact times to make them pull tons of organics from the water. Nano skimmers without exception can not employ the technology to create small bubble sizes. This is because of the cost of making efficient small components. Also the contact time is minimal so even if they could get the bubble small enough there simply isn't enough time.
    With a tank that size I would simply perform multi-weekly water changes

J