Earliest You Introduced a clam

Discussion in 'Clams' started by jay02483, Mar 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Let me add that this thread is actually a great method of furthering people's knowledge. To actually see when people added a clam and then how well it is doing can provide some substantive data that we can use to change our preconceptions of what we knew was correct before.

2. Click Here!

3. ClamsOnDemand

ClamsOnDemand 3reef Sponsor

Very true Guitarman. If I listened to alot of the ppl I came up with(mind you very knowledgable and big in the industry) instead of finding things out threw tinkering and trying things then I would probably still be having the proublems they are having. Others knowledge is great, take it into consideration, but there are often more correct answers than just one. And Not always what is considered right is the best way to do it.

4. hardyreef

hardyreef Flamingo Tongue

My tank has been up for about 7 years. I have almost gotten 1 about 100 times but then i remember what they need then i dont get it. lol :)

5. ClamsOnDemand

I must note in all cases where I added clams and corals right after the tank was setup, I also was using Live sand, Live rock(already cured), Real Ocean Water not mixed(salt mixed water is in my mind root of alot of proublems), Some form of bacterial culture, and added a few fish to start the cycle. I never reduced lighting in cycle period.

6. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

What do you mean?

7. ClamsOnDemand

I havnt said Ive never had proublems with clams before but usually if it is in good condition when you get it you dont have many proublems. Clams are actually alot more tough than you proubably think, usually the proublem arises when you have adverse water conditions, the clam has been stressed out or ruff handled in the process before reaching your tank, Or it has been place improperly or fallen down and tipped over a number of times in your tank.

8. Click Here!

9. ClamsOnDemand

I wouldn't recomend that technique for stuff like flame scallops or other sensitive shells, but with tridacna most often Squamosa they can handle it just fine......again depends on health of clam you pick up

10. ClamsOnDemand

As well as being a hobbiest, I own two companies one dealing in importation and resale of clams, one in Installation/Design and service of large scale aquariums. I currently have around 450 clams in 2 400 gallon tanks. Ive worked for other companies in and around los angeles, largest aquarium I installed was a 2200gal saltwater fish only in San Fransico. Farthest Ive gone to install an aquarium was 2x1500gal saltwater fish only tanks in the Hilton in Cabo San Lucas, mexico. If you watch the shows and movies: Oceans 13, Greys Anatomy, Medium, 90210, Melrose Place, Comics Unleashed, Nip Tuck, ect. you have seen my work. The most recent aquarium you will see of mine is in a movie with Jennifer Lopez coming out right now called The Backup Plan. I did two 150 gallon tanks loaded with goldfish in that one haha. Right now the clams I have are crocea, maxima, and squamosa. Working on getting pictures of all my clams, will try to get some posted on here by end of this week begining of next week. Don't worry I don't take offense, we are all entitled to our opinions.

Lighting has ranged everywhere from metal halides to what I currently use now with great success L.E.D.'s

1 person likes this.
  11. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

It's funny how almost immediately after my post, a post like this appears. I'm not trying to be mean either, but what is your experience in this hobby? Have you kept clams before? If so, how are they doing? When did you add them?

I'm not trying to cause a fight, but I do enjoy a debate every now and then. After COD posted his own personal experiences, you immediately doubt him and state the general belief about clams that they are very sensitive, need pristine water conditions etc. If you have personal experiences or legitimate research that may lead in the other direction, please post it so we can all look at all of the evidence and decide.

12. hardyreef

hardyreef Flamingo Tongue

I cant afford the stuff needed for them. Calcium at my LFS is 32.99 a bottle. Then the clam its self is like 100