Eagle Ray jumps in boat

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by Peredhil, Mar 29, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

spotted eagle ray one of my all time favorite rays.
    i actual say one jump out of the water when i was out on the boat last weekend.
    i think there on or where on the endangerded species list i know that discovery cove in orlando has the only breeding program in the world for these things.
    really cool critter

2. Click Here!

3. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

I would love to have one of those in my aquarium! :) LOL

4. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

This actually happens semi-regularly, I have seen many articles about this...

5. project1

project1 Spaghetti Worm

this actually happens alot more than you think i see them jump almost everytime i go out on the boat with my dad. last year one killed a woman my jumping in a boat and hitting the woman in the head

6. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

the VB aquriaum has 6. they are very intriguing to watch. very graceful and pretty :)

7. JNuckolls

JNuckolls Astrea Snail

That had to be a traumatic experience, not only for the woman but for her children as well. Though I do agree that the ray is very beautiful! Glad everyone was okay!

8. Click Here!

9. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

A woman in Marathon was killed by an spotted eagle ray a few years ago that did the exact same thing. Her boat was moving a lot faster and it didn't end so well.

The venom in their spines, which are located where the tail joins the body, causes the human thoracic diaphragm to relax. Meaning if you get stung, you stop breathing, nasty stuff.

We see them all the time snorkeling, and they really are beautiful and harmless.

10. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I watch eagle rays do this on mass when I was in Costa Rica this winter. Couldn't believe the number of them jumping. not surprised one would make it's way on to a boat.

J