E-Bay strikes again. I just bought a 300 gal. tank

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Blade_Runner, Mar 27, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Re: E-Bay strikes again. I just bought a 300 gal.

Well, on page 3 anyways, is the finished product. Eggcrate going up both sides with the corals tie wrapped to it. Looks like a little ravine.....just an idea...I like living vicariously through others ;D

4. szidls

szidls Feather Duster

Hey Blade,
    Very cool tank! What is the acrylic thickness? Top and sides?
    I think you could turn it into a reef tank depending on what you wanted to keep. As Matt said you would have to watch the heat for warping. I bet you could use a couple of doubble end MH pendents directly over the large tank openings. The rest might be lit with some retro T-5. Also if you had some way of exhausting the heat in the canopy design. This is definately a huge project. Reef or FOWLR. Good luck. We will all be watching for progress updates.
    Scott

5. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Well I'm taking off this afternoon to pick it up. It's about 200 miles away.

Birdlady, I got lots of little red xs too, but got the idea. thx

Rich... I wish. Stable and comfortable. I think I'll filter it like I was going reef just for water quality issues. My wife is pulling for a "big" fish show tank and to turn the 72 into a reef.

Since I'll be building the stand and hood, I should be able to leave enough room for heat dissapation. Especially since this will be a room divider. I'm currently thinking about 24" tall, but there is nothing stopping me from going higher.

I really can't believe what I just did... :doh This should take me months!

6. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Good luck Blade_Runner sounds like a Large project but a rewarding one once it is done, ;) Can't wait to see your posts of your project in progress 8)............. John

PS Karma to you for taking the initiative and going for it ;) ;D..... I have to admit I'm a little envious :(.......... John

7. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

OK, I left the office just before 2 and got back around 10:30. Whew... :p

You know, looking at a 300 in pictures, it looks big. Getting ready to haul it down a flight of stairs puts a whole other light on it's size. [smiley=uneasy.gif] Good thing I know some mover's tricks. The silly thing didn't even fit all the way onto my 8' trailer. All in all, the move went pretty easy. The tank is in pretty good condition. Just some surface scratches that I should be able to buff out.

I've decided to go with basement based filtration. I'm even thinking about running a line over to my 72 and connecting the whole system together like a LFS system, although I'm concerned about the distance to the den. It's going to take a big mother of a return pump. :eek: On the other hand, I'd have no restrictions on the size or design of the sump. Just think, I can be in fish geek nirvana.

I'll be lucky to have water in this beast by the end of May. :( Well, I have my Summer project lined up. ;D

8. Click Here!

9. festus

festus Plankton

[quote author=Plan2Build link=board=General;num=1111972299;start=0#2 date=03/27/05 at 20:22:36]
    You are right....you may need some serious re-inforcement!!! Perhaps put it on the ground floor :)
    [/quote]

If you put in on the 3rd floor it might just end up on the ground floor anyway ;-)

Seriously thats way cool. Congrats and good luck.

Remember if you go broke stocking it you can always eat the inhabitants.......

10. frank_broderick

frank_broderick Astrea Snail

8.3 lbs per gallon heavy heavy should be awesome when done!!!!

11. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Before you plumb them together, just think, supplements. If one is going to be a reef and one is not, you will be wasting mega bucks on supplements. Calcium, Iodine, stront., etc. ;)

12. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Interestng point BL. Although, we are already feeding the 72 pretty much like it was a reef. The savings will be if I go FO on the 300. Right now I'm leaning towards reef. If I'm going to be an idiot, I might as well go all the way. Kalk or B-Ionic is cheap anyway. Some of the other stuff can add up.