Dymax IQ3 vs Fluval Edge 6???

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by sugarbyte, Mar 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Broaner

Broaner Feather Duster

I don't know about you guys but I don't have the mid forearm joint that would be required to scrape the glass. To me the Fluval would be a nightmare for keeping the multitude of viewing panels clean. Magfloats don't get everything. Even if you only scraped once a month you'd basically have to completely rearrange the tank every time you wanted to scrape the corners.

Looks like a great freshwater tank but in a well lit salt system the Coraline control would be annoying to say the least.

So I vote Dymax. If you're interested in a bit larger tank have a look at the EcoPico. 5 Gallons and comes with decent LED's right outta the box.

2. Click Here!

3. Tadpole1mill

Tadpole1mill Purple Spiny Lobster

i have a salty edge and i have had to use the magfloat MAYBE twice in the almost 2 years i've had it. i am letting the coraline take over the back panel but the sides stay marginally clean somtimes i see the beginnings of coraline on bottom near the sand bed and thats when i'll pass the magfloat by it. my lr is all very purple, it might be an issue of having a pretty xcore cleanup crew? i'm not really sure why you'd have a bad experiece scraping but i have not even remotely had an issue. and the top panel stays completely clean all the time. atleast for me.

4. BigBad82

BigBad82 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I vote Dymax aswell, but why not try and hang on for the Dymax IQ5 which has a bigger footprint!

5. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

The IQ5 is probably a better comparison to the Edge. I was just looking at the 3, but 3g is half the size of the edge, which is tiny already. So, the 5 would probably be a better bet unless you really want to go as tiny as possible. There is also a fluval Chi, which looks similar to the Dymax, I think and is 5g.

I don't know anything about the lighting on the IQ3 or the Chi or if it would be sufficient for a reef tank. Both color temp and output. I'm fairly sure the Chi wouldn't be. The edge definitely isn't.

So, regardless you may need to do the lighting. An open design like the Dymax is certainly easier to retrofit though.

Another thing I noticed is the Dymax is acrylic. Acrylic scratches too easy for me, I'm just not carful enough for it I guess :) I would prefer the glass of the Edge. I'm not sure if the Chi is glass?

With the Edge though you definitely need to work around some obstacles. It isn't particularly difficult to reach anywhere in it. The bigger issue is water displacement. The more of your arm you put in, the more the water rises up the opening. If your not careful, it can overflowa bit. So, I've started taking out a cup or two of water before doing any major work. That is if any more than my hand is in it, once I get past my forearm it's a bit dicey :lol: It is awkward, but I liked it enough it was worth it to me and I kind of like the challenge really. It's defiantly for diy'ers who like a challenge though.

6. sugarbyte

sugarbyte Plankton

Thank you everyone for your replies! I really appreciate it :)

After doing some more research I have to say the Fluval Edge has really won me over. I like a good challenge! I have read that a lot of people have done some modifications to the lamp area. Either installing additional LED strips which is something I'd like to look into.. but I have absolutely zero knowledge on that kind of electrical stuff (again, I do like challenges though!)

Due to the lighting issues I don't plan on having plants that require a lot of light. I read a post somewhere that someone used pliers to gently bend the pins to change the angle of lights.. not sure if I'd want to risk it.

Also, I heard that the heater made for the edge is prone to break or over heat.. any suggestions/experiences with this?

7. pho88

pho88 Fire Worm

i recoment IQ5

8. Click Here!

9. ontop27

ontop27 Ritteri Anemone

haha one year later...

10. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

I would get the Skimz iBox nano. Its basically the IQ3, but with more blue LEDs in the light and a teeny little skimmer.

11. ontop27

ontop27 Ritteri Anemone

Pretty sure he found a tank already this thread is from March 2011

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk