Dying Zoa colony!

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by dowtish, Jul 31, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

never heard of anything like that...but hey, whatever works for you

2. Click Here!

3. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

ditto,never heard that before either and every tank i've ever had has had zoas and shrooms.

From research i've done on mine,i've eliminated most all common probable causes,but i have also found several sources saying that zoas can do this from time to time for no appearent reason (or at least a still unknown reason),so i can feel your fustration.

4. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

yeah, that's exactly where I'm at with it. everything else looks great, and things just happen.that one can really say why. I would like to think that I know how to care for my corals. But at the same time this is a colony that was pulled from the ocean. And I have no idea what was going on with it, when I put it in my tank. I have been making a conscious effort recently to only get corals that came from a frag that was aquacultured in a tank. I think this can help in the long run with these "mysterious" issues that come along.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Sorry to see about your problem. I have had them go into a mysterious decline also. Sometimes a change in lighting can help. I think the various dips would be good.

6. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

Well I just finished dipping them in furan2 and found a sundial snail! hopefully this was the cause, and now that it has been removed, hopefully they will heal.

7. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Hope that was the culprit, good luck

10. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Hmm... I added some mushrooms to a zoanthid rock and the zoanthids and mushroom growth rates exploded. Seems to be forcing competition for space.

As to the snails, that's probably the culprit, but here is a good link I just posted in another thread, in case you didn't see it.

Zoanthid Predators, Irritators, & Diseases

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  11. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Furan 2 works great for Zoa infections. I never had a lot of problems with them, but some would close up, and a few heads would melt here and there. I also thought there should be more growth. A couple of Furan 2 dips later, and everything is open. No troubles since then, and much better growth.

Also tried Furan 2 on some melting Acan Lords, and they recovered fully.

12. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

thanks m2434, I posted somewhere else, and they gave me the same link. i had seen it before, but it wasnt bookmarked like it is now.

And barbianj, thanks for the info. I'm hoping for a speedy recovery.