Dying Zoa colony!

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by dowtish, Jul 31, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

I am completely at a loss here folks. I have had this colony for about 4 months and has looked amazing since putting it in the tank. I noticed a few days ago that it was looking strange. The polyps were half open in places and seemed to be moving a lot more. like they were detaching from the rock. I knew I had a little hitch hiker crab that lived under them, but had not been a problem. after seeing the aggravated polyps, I took out the colony and captured the crab. That was 3 days ago, and I took the colony out yesterday and dipped it in coral rx. There were about 5 huge amiphopods in the bowl after the dip. I have looked around and it seems like a bacterial infection. I can see discoloration in the "mat" or base of the polyps. like it's eating them away from the bottom up. I have put in some heavy flow to blow off any debris/detritus. I am wanting to just leave it alone for a bit to see if it looks better,since I am making it mad so much, but I'm thinking another dip might be helpful.

All my parameters are great, and everything else is looking awesome. so weird, that just all the sudden it hits.

any suggestions or experience would be highly appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

As long as you blew it off I would then place it in moderate flow. If you have dipped it already I would just leave it alone and see if it recovers.:)

4. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

I've already seen a few polyps that have detached blowing around the tank. If I move them into higher flow, I might lose the whole thing. I'm think about fragging as much as I can and getting rid of the rest

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I do not know the specifics about CoralRX other than it's a good product.

Zoanthids are always going to look mad after dipping when already under stress. If you have any lugols' I would almost be tempted to try that as well. If they are already on the decline, and you are going to frag you might want to try it.

Good luck.

6. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

A local reefer friend of mine said to dip them in furan2. I have some of that, can't hurt right???

7. fishyfinder

fishyfinder Teardrop Maxima Clam

Have any Mushrooms in the tank?

8. Click Here!

9. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

yes i have lots of them

10. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Why do you ask? I have shrooms and zoas and I also have a colony wasting away,they were doing great,now only a few left.No signs of predators or pest,also have other zoas doing fine.Sorry for the highjack Dowtish,but being somewhat relevent,i'm curious.

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I think that is an excellent idea, had not thought of furan2, except for use in pox but I am sure it would work well for any pathogens fungal or viral in nature.

12. fishyfinder

fishyfinder Teardrop Maxima Clam

Mushroom prohibit the growth of the zoas somewhat. Soon as I took the mushrooms out of the tanks at work and home. The Zoa colony recovered and began to multiple. I am not completely sure about it or if it's completely true, but this is my first hand experience. I hope it helps.