Dying Xenia

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by obie1, Dec 5, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. obie1

obie1 Plankton

btw the temp peaks out during the end of daylight cycle @79-80F

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Temp is fine...I keep mine at 80 and my xenia is thriving.

4. obie1

obie1 Plankton

do you think the 4F flux isnt too much? Not sure what i could do to adjust that. maybe put small fan to blow across water and lighting ? Should i crank up heater to keep at 80 overnight? My tank is built into wall of basement, and the back side isnt directly heated during the winter. but i have taken notice to the tekp in early morning when the house is the coldest and its holding @75-76F., with my 300W heater in the refuigium.

5. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

I've often heard fluctuating temps is bad. But enough to kill Xenia??

I'd blame the Nitrates.....some clean water, more often.......and what about adding some Prime? this lowers nitrates pretty quickly, and I've been told it doesn't hurt anything to use Prime.

My Xenia's are dancing around my tank. I turned the pump off tonight to let the diatom filter run, and they were pulsing a hundred miles an hour!!

My nitrates always seem to be high..20-30 ppm range....don't really know why this is...I've cut back feedings....and I still get alot of brown goo on the sand...stirring the sand makes it disappear though...

maybe my bio-balls are to blame??

anyways, I'd try to lower the nitrates....and most light as possible...

my 2 cents ...if any good!!! :)

Scoffer

6. hoodoo

hoodoo Fire Shrimp

well, prime is great. I use it regularly in my small tank. I do water changes about every 10 days. And 3 days after that I add some Prime, 3 days later again. My tank was nice, but it's much better now.

7. obie1

obie1 Plankton

thx, havnt heard of prime. will check it out. i was told by lfs that xenias dont like high current? maybe i will try and direct the 3 powerheads to different angles and see if that helps too. never had the brown goo. i've seen it alot in other tanks at doctor offices and the such. my sand sifting star really does great job at keeping sand clean and moved. btw i do have phosban, but thats for the phosphates. my refugium is on reverse lighting and seem to do well to keep algae down.

8. Click Here!

9. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

Yeah, low current on the Xenia. Mine did mucho better in the low-mid current stream...

good luck obie1, your our last hope.....:)

Scoffer

10. obie1

obie1 Plankton

lmao , thx scoffer. may the force be with us both.

Thx to all who have contributed to my first post and also has brought it to
    very hot topic status. woo hoo !

11. obie1

obie1 Plankton

Update !!

Xenia survived and is slowly returning to health. I ended up changing 50 gal of water over 2-3 weeks time. I'm happy to say nitrates are way down. My rose anemone are still hiding out though. Santa was so nice to have brought me a Aqua C Pro Skimmer. Soon it too may help me in the war of Nitrates.

Hope all had Very Merry Christmas and wishing all a Happy New Year.

12. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Woo Hoo! Glad to hear it! I keep seeing your avatar and think I am actually speaking to Ewan McGregor! ::)
    (i wish!)

Were you running with no skimmer before?