Dying Xenia

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by obie1, Dec 5, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Bruce,

Like I said, I am not a big fan of water changes either, HOWEVER, this person is having a problem, and water changes during cycling or right after, are a good idea! Also, a good idea if everything we can test for seem to be normal. Water change provided replenishment of trace minerals tthat may be depleted.

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

I don't do water changes either ( you're not THAT different Bruce :) ) and like I wrote above, use some carbon or Chemi-pure.  I believe there is something in the water that needs to be removed and you can't do that with water changes.

JMHO

John

4. hoodoo

hoodoo Fire Shrimp

I do a lot of water changes. But very small changes. I have about 100 gallons of water and I chance 5 gallons whenever I have the time. Which is about once a week.
    My changes are easy, because I can just turn on a hose in the sump, fill the 5 gallon jug, and then put another hose in the new 5 gallon jug. That's barely any work and since it's always about 5% of the water doesn't change anything.

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Whoa John! I completely missed your post! Carbon is a good idea as well. I have been running it since my frogspawn started looking bad, it is much better now! ;D

6. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

Im also curious to see what his Nitrates are...thats seems to be the only thing I have trouble with...

But wouldn't they have to be extra high to hurt an Xenia? I thought they were pretty tough little critters....

not like the Flower Pot gonapora I bought, which made it about 2 weeks ..Ugggg!!!!

Damn Nitrates!!!!! Damn You!!!

opps ..sorry...passion...

:)

Scoffer

7. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

o i did not read it was cycling it lol...

8. Click Here!

9. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

I dont think he ever mentioned the lights he has running. Xenia's love strong lights. that could be his problem. IMO Xenias are one of the hardiest corals out there....but I am just a new salt person still. They ship poorly but once they recover they grow like weeds. I have heard that you can ship xenia dry. Ever heard of this anyone? I guess its like the coral lives above the high tide water line and the tide has went out. You let it dry out then ship it. Its just something I have read but have never tested. It came from Anthony Calfo's book I think.

Jay

10. obie1

obie1 Plankton

Nitrates 80 ppm. this is too high. gonna give abit more water change tonight. Still think a skimmer would do me good too. My calcium was at 500ppm last time i had it checked last month, and this is with adding once a week 50 drops. I need to get iodine test kit.

11. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

that happened to me before, what's your temp. xenia are very temp sensitive.

12. obie1

obie1 Plankton

temp is 76-77F. I'm converting my 50gal food safe r/o tank to salt only. wont be able to use its water for the other 2 fresh water tanks. this way i will have plenty of water and at good ph and salinity on hand for water changes. i understand its good to have the water prepared at least 24hr before use. The first and last time i did water change was sat night. i had no choice but to remove 3 - 5gal buckets and then mix up one bucket at a time and add back to tank. i need to be sure the salt is completely disolved the next time i do that, so as to not burn any of the corals. so by tues-wed i should have good and ready water to do some more water changes. xenia is still not looking any better since the last 15gal change (but as they say patience is 3/4 of the battle with salt tanks)