Dying Rose Anemone??

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Poppy828, Dec 2, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

No problems Todd,

Strange creatures those Anemones aye? :)

Remember one thing though, this is a brainless creature. It has no feelings or wants and just reacts to survive, nothing more.

I had a few of them a few years ago, they were quite small and were always moving under ledges and out of the light. Very strange behaviour as they are supposed to get some of their nourishment from light. Strangely and in contrast to the above, the only one that survived for a long time actually attached to the glass right at the water level and seemed to feed from whatever was floating on the water surface at the time.

I wouldn't worry too much about the discharge at this early stage and leaving it alone may be a better option than trying to 'do' something. It could just be passing out ( deficating ) it's used food.

John

2. Click Here!

3. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

Very strange. People say low water movement, yet my father has a Rose and it is right under the return line and has split twice in 4 months. I don't get it. His is also right at the top under the lights. Go figure.

I will leave him alone for now and see what happens. My gold stripe just loves him to death as well as my wife. This one has some very nice coloring. More so then the many I have seen in the LFS's around here.

We shall see. Thank you again for your help John. It is always appreciated.

Thanks,

T

4. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Todd,

Out of interest, are the tenticles like a BT anemone or are they smooth and tapered?

John

5. CowboyUp

CowboyUp Fire Worm

Poppy-

I am having the exact same problem, but I have 2 of these anemone's! One was doing real good for about a week and now it just hangs under a rock hidden away. The other one hasn't came out yet, stays hidden! I read that you're not supposed to pull them off their rock, so I've left them alone. I also have a Maroon Clown that won't leave one of them alone, trys to take food to it all the time. It's not looking good though.

CowboyUp [smiley=cowboy.gif]

6. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

John,

Some the of the tenticles are bubbled and some are tapered. This one is strange to say the least. When I first picked him out of the tank, he was nice and full. Large bubble tips on each tenticle and stretched out. I put it in my tank and he was like that for the last 2 weeks until this. It looks about the same this morning. Has not moved from the top of the tank.

It's a wierd problem.

T

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Bubble tips (rose or otherwise) usually lose their bubbles in our tanks....not sure why but it may have to do with feeding? If you look in my gallery at my rose, you'll see what mine looks like 99.9% of the time. No bubble tips to be found :)

8. Click Here!

9. arickosmo

arickosmo Astrea Snail

Good luck. I hope it goes well for you. I lost one of these in my tank last year, still dealing with the problems it created. If it does die, get it out fast.

10. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Hi Todd!

I am going to go along with mmakays' earlier recommendation to separate the clown from the anemone. Give the anemone a chance to settle in. I have heard lots of cases of clowns (esp maroons) loving their anemones to death. :D

11. CowboyUp

CowboyUp Fire Worm

Poppy-

I agree, very weird problem! Both of mine are looking a little better today, but not much. I shredded up some raw shrimp and it seemed to make them "feel" better. I've had problems before with anemone's; they say that they will either make it or not and that they usually don't live long. This is just what I've heard though.

12. CowboyUp

CowboyUp Fire Worm

Amcarrig-

WoW [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]!! Those are some really nice pictures! What kind of supplements and ir trace elements do you use? You have some really beautiful corals and inverts!