Dying Mushroom

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by dirtysven, May 6, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zoo 4 life

zoo 4 life Coral Banded Shrimp

The phytoplankton is fine, sounds to me like your specific gravity is too high, what do you use to test specific gravity? I recommend a refractometer with a good 35ppt calibration solution. Do you dose ca? IO should not be that high if you are ar the correct specific gravity and are not dosing.

2. Click Here!

3. dirtysven

dirtysven Astrea Snail

the CA has been my battle since I set up the DT, I use a hydrometer to measure s.g. and i have it a .024-.025 all the time. I thinks it might be the substrate Im using in the dt thats making ca go high.

4. zoo 4 life

zoo 4 life Coral Banded Shrimp

Check it with a refractometer, I bet your spg is too high. Most of the time your live rock will not effect your ca level very much.

5. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Nah, It's going to be the test kit most likely. But it's not like 500ppm ca is going to hurt anything. Not going to help, but not going to hurt either.

6. dirtysven

dirtysven Astrea Snail

when I did my last wc on saturday I decided to test my fresh RO water for calcium and it was zero, but when I mixed the salt and check for calcium again the test measured at 460ppm and that was without me placing the freshly mixed water in the DT. So I came with the conclusion that the IO salt was the culprit.

7. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

hi i'm gonna try to help you, mushrooms like high nutriet water the cleaner the water imo the worst they will do, there main chemical is iodine this is what they need water chances will not give you the iodine needed in a tank with heavy protein skimming get a test kit for iodine and keep it at sea levels and the shrooms will strive i have 2000 watts of light on my shrooms and they reach for more, they love it and want some more of it.;D

8. Click Here!

9. dirtysven

dirtysven Astrea Snail

Someone told me about iodide, I've been looking for a good deal on a test kit. They are really expensive in comparison to the 8-9 dollar iodide bottle, lol

10. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

one test kit should tell you how much to put in on a weekly or bi weekly basis so its really not that bad, iodine helps coral get over light shock also its a really good chemical to add, you must be careful with it not to overdose i rarely use a test for it anymore, i know about how much my coral uses so its not to bad, i dose every two weeks now, its like clock work.

11. dirtysven

dirtysven Astrea Snail

I've been feeding the DT phyto feast and the shrooms seems to be coming around. I hope thats working!

12. dirtysven

dirtysven Astrea Snail

***update***
    the shrooms are coming back to life, they are looking healthy and good. I think the culprit was that banner fish I had in the tank that was picking on them, donated the fish to petco and off he went.