Dying Fish, please help

Discussion in 'Fish Disease' started by viper31631, Mar 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. viper31631

viper31631 Plankton

I've had my 75 gallon tank set up now for about 3 months and had only lost on fish. Now all of the sudden I've had 4 fish die in the last couple days. I tested the water and the only real concern is the Ammonia is at .25, which should be high enough to kill the fish correct? Also, I do have a very slight case of ick from new fish, but the fish that have died did not have it. Please help!

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Mrs.Exec.Level

Mrs.Exec.Level Astrea Snail

that sucks Karma for you loss!! Do you have enough air in your tank?? When my air pump got turned off it killed most my fish over one night

4. 72RunningBlue

72RunningBlue Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I had the same thing happen to me when one of my fish got ick and wiped out quite a few of my fish. If you don't have polyps or anything other then some fish in your tank just turn off your protein skimmer and treat your entire tank for ick. Thats the best idea I got for you, but I'm no expert.
    But all my fish showed signs of ick

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Im not sure that .25 of Nh3/4 would have killed all four fish. What kind of fish were they?

1 person likes this.
  6. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Sorry for your losses.......

7. mattchew

mattchew Bristle Worm

i 2nd this

8. Click Here!

9. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

Ammonia can do that. At any level. but if theres ick in the system, thats what I would have to attribute the deaths to. The ick could have been exacerbated by the elevated ammonia levels and caused it to spread faster throughout the system.

what kind of fish do you have and what are all your water parameters at including nitrites, nitrates, ph, gh.

10. tinnghe

tinnghe Purple Spiny Lobster

when i first started out, i had an entire fleet died of nothing, just good 8 damsel died for no reason, i think that was the part of cycle that i didnt understand at first. patience is the key to success.

11. viper31631

viper31631 Plankton

The fish that died where 1 tiger barb, 2 gouramis, and a blueberry loach.

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

You loaded the new tank up F/W systems like marine needs to cycle did the water have a hazy look to it just before or after this happened