Dying corals

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Zero_Dude, Jan 19, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

I haven't tested the fresh mixed salt. All I can test it for right now is Alk and Calc, since my API isn't reliable. Salt brand is Instant Ocean. I've got 8 corals in the tank.

I'm getting my girlfriend to bring my tankwater to the LFS to test for Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, Phosphate, Mag, Alk, Calc, and PH (unless the PH can change from the water being in a plastic bag for a day)

2. Click Here!

3. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Switch to Reef Crystals or Red sea Pro coral. Instant Ocean is geared more toward a fish only tank. Reef Crystals which is made by the same people has higher alk , calcium and mag.. it's geared toward a reef tank.

4. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

I'd switch, but I'm pretty sure my LFS only had instant ocean.
    Water was tested. Here are the results:

Salinity: 1.026
    PH: 8
    NO2: 0
    NO3: 0
    Alk: 350
    Calcium: 480
    Magnesium: 1800
    Ammonia: 0

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I'm thinking ALK is supposed to be between 8-10? I hope I'm right on that, so I'm not sure about 350. Your mag is high....I'm not sure how that affects everything, I'll let the chemistry experts chime in, bump for you!

6. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

Yeah, the Alk doesn't make sense. And I was told the Mag reading might be off, since she doesn't know if she did the test right or not. I'm going to go there myself tomorrow and get the Mag and Alk re-tested. Since there's "no" PO4, what's my issue? Surely, high Mag can't have this huge of an effect on my corals

7. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

Mag wasn't 1800, but it was still off the charts. Something like 1650

8. Click Here!

9. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

OK just to clarify Instant Ocean makes Reef Crystals and is what I use. So it should say that on your box or bucket.

so are you saying you just use Instant Ocean Instant Ocean?

I would be surprised if your LFS did not carry the Reef Crystal version also as they are same Manufacturer.

10. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

Instant Ocean Instant Ocean. I asked if they carry anything else, and they said no

11. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

since you have algae, you can assume you have PO4 even though it's not showing on the test, the algae most likely is consuming it.

12. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

Well, their test for PO4 has a minimum range point of.. 0.16 I think. And my water tested under that. But hopefully the algae can take all the unneeded PO4, then it'll starve from lack thereof?