Dying corals

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Zero_Dude, Jan 19, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

Do you have a TDS meter on it? or a handheld? 10 months and the membrane should be fine, but perhaps the carbon etc. ones have lost their potency.

2. Click Here!

3. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

No TDS meter of any kind..

4. Atticus818

May be worth looking into. That could be where a portion if your likely elevated levels are coming from.

5. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

So things to get... Reactor, Nitrate and Phosphate test kits, and a TDS meter. I'm going with Hanna for Phosphates, but it doesn't look like they make a Nitrate test.. And for a reactor, I'm probably going with the one Atticus suggested; I just have to wait for someone to get back to me on that. I'll be getting this for TDS: ReefSupplies.ca, your Canadian online reef aquarium store. . Anything else?

I'm bringing some water to my LFS to see what my Phosphates are at. (and everything else, but PO4 is my main concern right now)

6. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

7. Atticus818

Sounds like a pretty comprehensive list. I would just snag a salifert for nitrate, it will be perfect for your needs. Plus, at some point shouldn't even really need to be used to test regularly.

Theoretically, everything will just be at a nice constant 0 and the only tests you will need will be calc and alk and PO4 to determine a dosing regimen, less some signal pops up to alert you of problems.

Also, that's a good TDS meter. I have seen one installed on a spectrapure system with great results.

8. Click Here!

9. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

Thanks for the help. I'm not entirely sure how the TDS meter works, but I guess I'll be figuring it out when I get it!

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

sounds like you made some good decisions! Here's hoping that this helps get everything under control for you zero!

11. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

Thanks! Big bird is doing a bit worse. A few polyps are like.. peeling off?

12. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Most likely this is an Alk/Calcium/Mag issue.
    Have you tested the fresh mixed salt? What brand salt?
    If you only have a few corals I agree that water changes should bring the parameters in line .. as long as it mixes with normal Alk, calc, mag.
    If your alk/calcium won't stay up there it could be the magnesium is too low.
    If the ammonia is really up there then there is another problem I would work on first.
    Look into some Prodibio Digest to help with NO3. If you have alge you have excess nutrients.