Dying corals

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Zero_Dude, Jan 19, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

Would this: Single Media Reactor - GFO, Carbon, Other + a cobalt (+GFO) be a good choice? I want to get a reactor that's small + test kits at the same time, so I don't have to make multiple orders.

AquaMaxx Fluidized GFO and Carbon Filter Media Reactor looks good, but it too big for my sump.

Does anyone here have Hanna Instrument checkers? I thought it was way worth the price, since you don't have to continuously buy test kits, til I saw you still have to buy reagents. Are they worth it? Or should I just go with the Phosphate Pro test kit by Red Sea?

EDIT:

I agree that it may be a better idea to wait and see what's wrong before getting a reactor, but like I said above, it's better for me to make a purchase with everything I need.. I will hold off on it though. I stirred sand a little in my tank when I did my water change, to get the thick patches of dyano off the sandbed.

Also, knowing over-feeding can add excess phosphates, I'll be sure to keep to a restricted feeding regimen

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Two little fishes makes a $40 reactor. Bulk Reef makes a $40 option. Bulk Reef may be a good place to look as you can buy everything there.

4. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

I own all the Hanna test kits they make. They are incredible compared to other kits, but require VERY detail orientated procedure as even minor screw ups cause major swings. This is from their inherit level of precision. I highly recommend them, even above the salifert kits.

As for a reactor I highly recommend this one:
    NextReef MR1 Complete GFO and Carbon Filter Media Reactor
    I know it is expensive, but it will NEVER leak, and the pump is top notch. This is the pinnacle of reactors IMO. I cannot recommend this reactor enough.

As for physical media, always go BRS, it is as good as anything out there at a fraction of the cost. It doesn't matter what "grade" you select, the cheaper stuff just needs to be replaced more often. Test em out and see what you prefer.

Thick patches of cyano? Or dinoflagellates? Both further prove that nitrate and PO4 are your cause of bleaching here.

5. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

I had looked up the TLF one. Didn't like the reviews for it..

Your over-enthusiasm made me cringe at the price I was imagining. It looks like a good system, and the price isn't so bad either!

Oops, mixed up cyano and dino. They were dark brown patches on the sand. Just looked like the sand was brown.

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I have the fishes reactor. Truthfully, I don't like how the plumming is set up.

7. Atticus818

Sounds like just some cyano then. That's good, much less severe. Could also be silica releasing from the sand, and forming diatoms. How old is the sand?

8. Click Here!

9. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

As old as the tank. About 10 months

10. Atticus818

Not very likely to be a sand problem then.

11. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

What is your water source? RO/DI, hopefully. Forget dosing anthing for the time being...

12. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

Yes, RO/DI. Although the filters in it haven't been changed since I got it