Dying corals

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Zero_Dude, Jan 19, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

This is really frustrating! It makes me want to give up on corals altogether for a while. Lol

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

you will get there zero! Don't give up - things will turn around - you're doing all the right things!

4. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

It doesn't feel like it! I wanted to get my new LEDs, but there's no point if I can't keep coral even now! Last night I saw a hermit eating dead flesh off my acro. Also, the coralline is peeling off quite easily.. What's going on?!

EDIT: Both my heaters are busted to some extend. One doesn't heat, and one doesn't stop heating. Time to call the supplier! This could be a factor.. (temp swings)

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

absolutely could be a huge factor!

6. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

I'm about ready to leave the hobby at this point. Nothing has gone right with my tank. I've had so much malfunctioning equipment, floods, spills, deaths, and pretty much anything else you can think of.

My return pump was hardly sucking water, so I cleaned it. Now, it sucks water until it starts sucking air. I tried adding water to the system, but it keeps sucking water out

7. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

This sounds like you have a return pump pumping more water than your overflow can return to the sump. Try dialing it back, either on the pump if it has that ability or with a ball valve in the return line. May need to add one if you don't have it already. What's your overflow rated at? Pump rating?

8. Click Here!

9. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

I've got a ball valve that distributes the flow between me fuge and skimmer chamber. Not sure what the overflow is rated at, but the tank is a marineland 90g corner overflow.. Return is 1200 gph

10. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

According to Marinelands website, the corner overflow is good for 700GPH, so you are definitely going to have to dial back the return pump. I would shoot for about half of what you got, at most. How big is the sump? I try for about 10x the sump volume in my sumps but I'm sure there are different opinions on here as to that.

That should take care of that problem.

11. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

Sump is 20G. Flow rate isn't adjustable though

12. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

You'd have to put a ball valve in your return line then so you can throttle back the return valve.