Duncan Corals - Still having trouble !

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by nathan, Feb 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nathan

nathan Astrea Snail

yeah she was awesome for 3 weeks , sprouting everday . now its just gone in the opposite direction sadly .

i just did a partial water change , so i will be checking all levels again tomorrow .

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

These elements can be lethal if dosed and not monitored. Why are you adding them might I ask? I have a tank full of sps corals and don't dose anything but buffer, calcium and magnesium.

4. Tbstr3

Tbstr3 Skunk Shrimp

dont dose iodine my duncans are in high flow and high in my tank and they are fine you got somthing else going on in there

5. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

The nitrates are his problem at 60-80. He needs to do water changes.

6. nathan

nathan Astrea Snail

new information for all those out there , i think my light must be too bright , because i turned it off , and for the first time iv actually sat on the computer for a few hrs past the turn off time , and iv noticed the heads comming out .????? 10 mins ago every single head had been hidden in their holes??? , would u guys recommend i remove 1 bulb from my t5 light setup?...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  7. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I have mine under a ledge of rock and they do fine. The also start looking closed up when the NO3's get high.

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

No get those nitrates down. rodi removes toxins and just about everything else when the filters are not full. You basically get pure H2O. All other chemicals and compounds are removed.

My nitrates were between 20 and 40 when I bought some yellow polyps. I lost all but one. I lowered my nitrates to near zero and and they started coming back and all of my corals took off growing. You are basically poisoning your tank with the nitrates that high.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  10. nathan

nathan Astrea Snail

okay , nitrates are down . any info on my lighting situation? should i try raise it higher some how , the light obviously must be too powerful?

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

If you have a 4 bulb T5 you will need to remove 2 bulbs. The bulbs are usually paired together. If you remove one the other will go out also. So remove it. Let us know how it goes.

What level are your nitrates at please?

12. nathan

nathan Astrea Snail

the bulb are just 2 , the reflection of the metal makes it look like 4 . i removed 1 bulb to its jut running a blue 1 .

i did another test just now . nitrate went from 80 - 30 , so i might do another water change , obvisouly 25% wasnt enough . as its a smaller tank i didnt want to remove to much .

ph : 8
    no2 :0
    amonia: 0