Duncan coral still won't open!

Discussion in 'Coral' started by sjn1282, Feb 11, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bob F

Bob F Bristle Worm

Ironically just read this thread and I will tell you I am in same situation as Duncover. My branching duncan is at top of my scape and in high intermitent flow rate and loves it. I feed it mostly mysis once a week and sucks them in so fast and looking for more in a couple of hours. This was my first coral I bought about 6 months ago with about 12 heads and now over 26 and I have a reatively low ph and alk tank and trying to get it up but has grown regardliess grows. I am wondering now if I get those params up higher how much more it would grow.

2. Click Here!

3. Tony H

Tony H Plankton

I have to admit Duncan's seem to be pretty easy AND cheap, $29 here for 12 to 15 heads. That being said a friend has a couple of large ones and his tank is lit by 2 of the led strip lights you get from the big box hardware stores! His have been thriving for over a year with one strip on blue and the other on purple.... Go figure, I thought they would be dead by now!

4. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

my colony went through some harsh times as my tank was swinging to stability. they lost pretty much all the tissue on the outside of the skeleton (that silky green or tan color) but the heads persisted. over time the heads started growing and im now seeing new heads split from the old ones. the skeleton remains a sad dark grey dead color but if the polyps are doing good it can't be all bad.

goodluck

Attached Files:

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I've only tried a couple small frags of duncans and did not have any luck. Perhaps I wasn't patient enough :(

6. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

You're not alone on that. I had one head of a Duncan in my 29 that literally did nothing at all. Never grew. Never died. Just sat there, even with feedings. The same is happening in my AIO tank with a different frag. Maybe Duncans are picky with tanks? I don't think I'll ever have luck with them.

7. sjn1282

sjn1282 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

It seems to me they are picky about spot and flow. Dont know about the ph part being the lfs guy was the only one that told me about ph which no one else mentioned. These are rated as beginner coral too but it seems some people are hit or miss with them. Maybe it could have something to do with type between branching and cluster. Mine is the cluster type from what the lfs store i got it from told me.

8. Click Here!

9. Bob F

Bob F Bristle Worm

Could be, mine is the branching and was my first and easiest coral. On the flip side, I cannot keep my Zoas alive for anything and they are suppose to be even easier (and I love Zoas). Go figure

10. sjn1282

sjn1282 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

See my zoas and palys are growing like crazy, xenia is like wild fire, but hammer, duncan, candy cane all are stagnant. Just started getting growth from my hammer about a month ago. It has 5 small heads around the base that havent gotten much bigger over the month but they are sticking out and glowing lol.

11. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Check for nudibranchs that eat zoas. Flow, lighting and chemistry all play a role in how corals thrive. I had to move my euphyllias a few times to find a happy spot.

12. Bob F

Bob F Bristle Worm

Thanks DSC, I have tried moving them around a little but unfortunetely I think it is Zoa pox. I have tried the Furan treatments for several weeks but does not seem to be working. getting very expensive to keep treating. At this point letting it go and hopfully the degradation will stop before completely gone. If not I will hold out awhile before getting another. I have tried dipping for pests a couple of times and have not seen anything. Very frustrating becuase i had such a large beautiful Zoa rock with multiple colors. the redish zoas seem to be holding on as the greens are fading fast. Sorry for jumping your topic sjn